Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gmail hack, returned and....  (Read 4436 times)

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Gmail hack, returned and....
    « on: March 03, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
    I was wondering if you would mind helping me (I am very anxious for my problem)

Today on a computer (without any especial AntiVirus) which is in a public place for everyone I checked my Gmail account by IE and I received a bunch of strange emails. by opening of one of them I was diverted to another person's email and then when I tried to sign in with my username, gmail said you are trying to use your old password. you password has been changed for 33 days. So I was frustrated because even I did not know the security questions; I could not sign in for around 2-3 hours and after that when I tried my password (This time in my personal Computer with ESET Smart security) I could sin in; once I signed in, I changed my password and now I would like to know whether this email address is safe anymore or not? Can I still use this email address knowing I have changed my password? Also I would like to know whether there is a risk of getting a keylogger after being hacked? Is keylogger installed on the system or email? When I got hacked I was with a public computer, so this means that if any keyloggers have been installed, they have been installed in that public computer? Right?and Now that I'm using the email address in my personal computer there is no risk of having a keylogger? Am I right?

In general, also could you please let me know whether using this email is safe or nor?
    Also, could you please confirm whether ESET Smart security is anti keylogger as well or not?
    Thank you very much

I look forward to hearing from you.
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:35:17 PM by amir974 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gmail hack, returned and....
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
    Today on a computer (without any especial AntiVirus) which is in a public place for everyone I checked my Gmail account by IE and I received a bunch of strange emails. by opening of one of them I was diverted to another person's email and then when I tried to sign in with my username, gmail said you are trying to use your old password. you password has been changed for 33 days. So I was frustrated because even I did not know the security questions; I could not sign in for around 2-3 hours and
    Is that what happened?
    A. Do not rely on public terminals. A mean kind of malicious software called "DNS changer**" might have been present.
    B. If you can sign in later on your own PC, the account was not hacked & the password not changed by some other person.

**DNS Changer often picks on Google, but it does not hurt Google directly, it victimizes the user who want to use Google. Tue infection is local to the PC the user has in front of him.
    This may be of some interest. About three months ago
    FBI tackles DNSChanger malware scam

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
      Hello

Thank you very much for answering and giving some information.

So do you believe that by clicking on that email my DNS changed and I was diverted to another person's email address?

Yes the story is exactly the same thing I described. When I opened (From a public computer which did not any especially Anti viruses) one of the strange emails , I had received, I was directed to another person's email address and after that when I tried to sign in, Google said "You are trying to use your old password. Your password has been changed for 33 days" and I could not sign in to my account for 2-3 hours and even after that I tried from my PC which has an ESET Smart Security and again I could not sign in. However after awhile again I tried and finally my password worked; once I entered my account, I changed my password and I got an email from Gmail saying that my password has been changed 3 times during that day (One when I was hacked and one when I changed by myself and one in between).

So now my question is, if it had been a DNS changer, I would have been able to sign in to my account (the first times that I tried) when I tried it from my personal PC (because this one was not infected). Right? So it could not be a DNS changer. Am I right?

My another question is how come my password after around 4 hours changed to the first password?

And finally My last question: Could you please let me know what you think had happened? Was I hacked? Is my Gmail account safe now? Can I still use it? Was it dangerous? .....

Your help is totally appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
      The problem described in the article only infects the one  computer. Nothing is done to Google Gmail. This problem has been widely reported. And nothing goes into n your home computer.

The scam gives people the impression that something is wrong and asks for your password.

But you changed your password. So you are out of danger. Be sure and update your security questions.

amir974

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
        Oh great! Thank you so much :)

So only the public computer was infected and my Gmail account is safe? So why even at home I could not log in with my password for around 1-2 hours and then it worked? Also I had two other emails saying that my Gmail password was changed in between (between that time I was infected and the time I accessed to my email)?!

Also, could you please let me know based on what you believe is my information ( I mean emails I received or sent) read by a third party?

I do appreciate your help :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
        You get locked out of our account when there are a number of attempts to get in. That is a safety feature.

It is a good idea from time to time to change our password and review your security questions.

Others recommend use of acrostic phrase password. Numbers exceptional.
        Example:
        My Bad  Dog Has 12  Red Fleas.
        would be:
        MBDH12RF
        Of cause, you have to use another one. That one is mine.
        Do not use
        qwerty
        Which is so obvious. I stopped using it.