Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformatting Hard Drive Desktop PC HP Windows XP  (Read 2857 times)

jsranchmn22

Topic Starter

Rookie

Reformatting Hard Drive Desktop PC HP Windows XP
    « on: February 29, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
    Crossing my fingers...

Well here it is 2011.  When I did search for this issue, this thread came at top of Google return:

Hard drive format without installation CD

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62849.0/all.html

I have a HP a1310n. Inspired by this thread, I went back to original documents received with desktop. It instructed me to create system recovery discs as follows:

Windows XP: Start > All Programs > PC Help & Tools >HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. It is recommended to use DVD which I happened to have. This requires 2 discs. If CD used, it requires 16.

I am now making recovery discs and will report back.

I have no doubt this messed up computer will attempt to report bad hard drive to me but I doubt I have a bad hard drive. It is just a mess!

Ok burned disc 1, HP instructed me to label it disc 1, Recovery. (nice)

After burning the discs I will attempt to to do a Full System Recovery on current recovery hard drive. If unsuccessful, I have the discs.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Reformatting Hard Drive Desktop PC HP Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
    So this is what HP told you to do?

Here on this forum the general co consensus is as follows:
    A. If there is any indication of a virus, address that issue first.
    B. If the HDD, Hard Disk Drive, is 'messed up', run a an approved diagnostic.
    C. If the HDD is bad, don't try to fix it. Get anew HDD.

Reformatting a drive is sometimes given as a 'fix' to your problems. But without proven backups it is not a good idea.

What are you going to do if the HDD is bad? Buy another drive?  Why not run either a AV scan or a drive diagnostic first before you format the drive.

Yes, I am one of the guys that formats a drive when things go wrong. But I also perform redundant backups with other HDDs. I have more HDDs that computers. My personal recommendation is to make backups using drive image software.

How this is of some help and you find a solution.