Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect to one specific website  (Read 32266 times)

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Cannot connect to one specific website
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »
I'm not sure how the problem could be anywhere else except on my end, specifically on this OS. I can browse the site from any other computer on my network, behind the same router. This basically eliminates an ISP/IP ban issue. The computer connected directly to the DSL modem still cannot reach the site, essentially eliminating the router as a problem. This same computer running off a linux livedvd can reach the site, this basically eliminates a hardware issue (ethernet card or whatever else).

It must be some problem originating from Windows 7 itself somewhere, and I have tried everything I could possibly think of to eliminate any potential causes within Windows itself. I am at a loss as to what else could possibly be causing me to not reach this one website. I am almost positive it is not a virus or other malware problem, and am stumped as to what setting or whatever somewhere could be preventing me loading this site. nslookup resolves the IP fine, it is not a DNS issue. Even using openDNS or google DNS servers do not affect anything. I can ping the site, packets are not lost in ping.

Are you the owner of the network? Do you have full control?
Time to review the facts.
It used to be OK.
The problem is only with
www.ee.hawaii.edu
  But what about a base  that site? Like http://hawaii.edu
Other PCs on the network do not have a problem
Same PC with Linux does not have the problem
Same PC has the problem direct from modem.

It is NOT in the hosts file.
You verified the hosts file role? I mean you are sure tree hosts files is working. There is a prank where the hosts file can be placed in another place. Or even renamed.

I can reach www.hawaii.edu (128.171.224.100) fine, as it is hosted on a different server than ee.hawaii.edu. I can even reach www.eng.hawaii.edu (128.171.60.178), but it is irrelevant as these are all on different servers. I only need to reach, but cannot access, www.ee.hawaii.edu (128.171.61.135) from this 1 single computer. This is on my home network, so I am able to manipulate anything on my end as such.

How would I know if Windows is reading from another hosts file~

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
I am almost positive it is not a virus or other malware problem, and am stumped as to what setting or whatever somewhere could be preventing me loading this site.

You have the answer. Did some research. This kind of prank is is commonly called the "Google Redirect Trojan" and has nothing to do with Google, other that Google is site it redirects. But in you case it does not redirect. Just blocks a specific site.

Why would anybody want to keep you away from one specific site?
Sounds like a plot for a spy movie. ;D

To fix this is a major job, so they say. You need the help of Super Dave or somebody as good as he is.

One theory is that the Trojan alters something just before the any bower starts and then when the browser closes es there is no obvious trail of what it did.

oldun

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
Have you tried the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:15:45 AM »
Have you tried the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below.

Problems found

website (www.ee.hawaii.edu) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »
It is not. I have already stated that I have checked the windows hosts file. My computer can resolve the IP of the website just fine... (128.171.61.135)

It also is not an IE timeout issue. This problem is not restricted to IE.

I think Firefox might rely on the same settings.

Don't knock it till you tried it.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 04:46:06 AM »
I think Firefox might rely on the same settings.

Don't knock it till you tried it.
I meant to say that I did attempt it, but it had no effect. The registry key was not present, but I added it as per the MS article, it did nothing.
Also, reading through that article, it seems more pertinent to already established connections, and does not assist with establishing the initial connection to a website.

I have also tried to add a ReceiveTimeout DWORD entry from another MS article, set to 6 minutes, also no effect.
The page attempts to connect, and times out after roughly 20 seconds.

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »
I meant to say that I did attempt it, but it had no effect. The registry key was not present, but I added it as per the MS article, it did nothing.
Also, reading through that article, it seems more pertinent to already established connections, and does not assist with establishing the initial connection to a website.

Was curious if it applied to setting up a connection as well.

Because you can ping but not resolve the domain it would seem there's some sort of problem with your local DNS settings.

Are you using DHCP? Have you tried to to reinstall the NIC? Have you tried to shutdown the NIC and enable it again?

What if you empty the DNS cache by going into cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns ?

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »
    website (www.ee.hawaii.edu) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.
    I would contact the site admin.

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
    I would contact the site admin.
    Could you explain how it could be the website if the same computer on a different OS can access it, and other computers on the same network can reach it?

GlitchPC

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
    IP being blocked?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
    IP being blocked?
    If I were IP blocked my entire network would be blocked.

GlitchPC

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
    Not necessarily...

The site may be blocking a specific IP and not the entire network.  Each PC on the network has its own IP.  The site can block a specific IP, as well as a list of IPs from a specific network...or, the entire network.  Have you considered this possibility?

Have you done what Fed suggested and contacted the site's Admin?

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
    Not necessarily...

The site may be blocking a specific IP and not the entire network.  Each PC on the network has its own IP.  The site can block a specific IP, as well as a list of IPs from a specific network...or, the entire network.  Have you considered this possibility?

That would only apply if the disabled NAT and leased a unique IP-address for each and every machine. You must be thinking of a MAC address which the site owner should not be able to see.

GlitchPC

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
    I stand corrected.  Yet...with all the OP has done and what has been suggested to no resolve....what else could it be?

howzer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
    Not necessarily...

Have you done what Fed suggested and contacted the site's Admin?
    This is not possible. I only get 1 IP from my ISP and the rest of my network is on a private subnet through NAT. If it were MAC address related then my PC would not connect with linux.

There must be something in windows or something preventing me.... but what?