Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help With Factory Restoring My Computer  (Read 2944 times)

Charles60

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help With Factory Restoring My Computer
    « on: March 03, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
    My computer has recently caught a bad virus. Normally I can get under control but this time I couldn't so I decided to go with my back up plan. Whenever my computer gets too bad, I would initiate a system restoration and just wipe computer to make it like I just bought it. It's a trick I learned a few years ago and used it a couple times since. I would back up my things, restart my computer, and hit Ctrl+F11 and then I get this little screen that asks me if I want to perform the system restoration (I think that is what it said) and then boom, computer back to normal. So I decide to do that again, since I don't have the original discs to re-install windows myself, but this time something was different. I tried over and over again to at the start up menu to get the screen to work but it didn't. That is when I learned that somehow the method has been changed. Now I have to press F8 and go to Repair your computer option. So I did, and here is where the problem arises. The directions I got online say I should be asked to select a language, but I don't get that option, instead I get sent directly to the login screen like when you normally start it up but I don't have my account there. It is a blank account that says other user. So I figured it just wanted my account name and password so I tried it and it didn't work. Then I tried again and again, then I tried typing in adminstrator and so and so. I tried nearly every possible combination out there and I am stumped, so there has to be someone who knows the answer. Please help if you can.

I am running Windows Vista and I have a Dell Inspiron 530

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help With Factory Restoring My Computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
    Best thing to do is contact the Dell site, even if it is out of warranty.
    FYI In Vista you can make a backup DVD of the system.Also, there are good free backup software methods that go beyond just a system restorer from the had drive.

Sorry, I don't have a plan to help you get out of this. I do believe the Dell people will help you best if you spend some time on their site and look around. Dell has one of the better self-help systems on the Internet.
    http://dell.com/support/
    Give 'em a try!

epoh

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Help With Factory Restoring My Computer
      « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
      On boot hit the f2 key..the osi..will help you..