Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Config/Start Up question  (Read 2866 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

System Config/Start Up question
    « on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
    Hello

I am attaching two screen shots of my System Config/Start Up which shows the applications that start up when I log-in to Windows.

My PC is quite slow and I am trying to speed things up, and just wondered which of the programs shown under Start Up don't actually need to be running in the background.

Thanks for any advice.

High1

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: System Config/Start Up question
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
    What you really want to do is Google each of those entries and decide for yourself what you want loading with the system. Once you've made that decision, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
      Hello Allan

Many thanks for that.

I couldn't install M Lin's programme - problem with Setup, so I have disabled the questionable files that run in the back ground in msconfig.

Thanks again for your help.

High1

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:56 AM »
      I strongly suggest you do not use MSCONFIG to make permanent change to startup items. MSCONFIG is a diagnostic utility and should only be used as such.

Mike Lin's program does not have to be installed. It is a standalone app and will run when you download it. You can use any number of other similar apps (Startup Organizer, Process Explorer, Win Patrol, etc)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
      Hello Allan

Many thanks for that.

I couldn't install M Lin's programme - problem with Setup, so I have disabled the questionable files that run in the back ground in msconfig.

Thanks again for your help.

High1

Never seen an issue with Mike Lin's app on installing...
      Runs fine on everything from Win98 thru Win7.

I'll bet if you go to Control Panel you will see a new Icon called Startup...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "