Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help With PCI Sound Card  (Read 2086 times)

Warren_Digital

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Help With PCI Sound Card
    « on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
    Hi, I have a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop, My on-board Audio sounds very tinny and sounds as-if no bass is being kicked out, even with a pair of Sennheiser headphones, I have tried re-installing drivers and everything, I have used the basic 'Microsoft High Definition Audio Device' that Windows 7 automatically installs and I have use various other SoundMAX drivers, though none are officially for Windows 7.
    They either say that it is not designed for this Operating System or say that an "ADI Driver" is missing or when I play any sound I get the Blue Screen dump file thing.
    So, I went and bought an old cheap PCI Sound Card to see if this made any difference..... But whenever I turn the PC on with this Sound Card in.... It doesn't boot, but as soon as I take it out, It boots as normal.
    Also tried inserting the Sound Card when Windows is on and booting, both result in freezing.

I have tried to do a bit of re-search of my own but have failed to find an answer, I think it could be that it is not Drawing any power from the PCI slots or it's dead. Though if it was dead surely my PC would just ignore it and at least boot.

So that's my problem. If there is anything I have missed that you would like to know just reply :)

Cheers

truenorth

Guru

Re: Help With PCI Sound Card
      « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
      Before endeavoring to use the PCI replacement sound card did you go into device manager and disable your on board sound? If not you may have a conflict between the 2 sound devices.Also if you have an alternative PCI slot try that. truenorth

Warren_Digital

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
        Before endeavoring to use the PCI replacement sound card did you go into device manager and disable your on board sound? If not you may have a conflict between the 2 sound devices.Also if you have an alternative PCI slot try that. truenorth

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Before attempting to install I disabled the on-board Audio through 'Device  Manager' and also via the BIOS, and I have tried it in both of my PCI slots.
        Also, as I have only the Standard Dell PSU, I thought maybe that getting power may be an issue, so I removed my Graphics Card with consumes 43W to free up some power and then I tried the Sound Card but still the same result. It's either not compatible or dead. I don't have another PC to try it in.
        Also just to add, when the Sound Card is in and doesn't boot, the CPU fan does get abit faster.

Thanks

Warren_Digital

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
          Hi, finally I have found an answer, I have just tried a Wireless 'N' PCI adaptor in my PC and it worked without a hitch in both slots.
          I guess the Sound Card is just not compatible, which would make sense as it's an old basic one made by Dynamode using a C-Media chip, more than likely AC'97.

Thank anyway

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
          Is that card even supported by Windows 7 if it is that old?

Warren_Digital

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
            Is that card even supported by Windows 7 if it is that old?

I wouldn't know, it was just packaged in a white OEM box.
            I think XP would of been the latest drivers.
            Either way it still would of booted had it been compatible, regardless of whether it is supported by Windows 7.

Cheers

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
            Oh yeah, I missed this gem:
            Also tried inserting the Sound Card when Windows is on and booting, both result in freezing.