Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how can I open a URL file (Internet Shortcut) using iexplore.exe and a parameter  (Read 10588 times)

s_r

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    If I try giving the file's name as a parameter, internet explorer uses the file-name as url, instead of the url itself.
    Double-clicking the URL file or dragging it to an existing window works, but I need to do it from a program, without using the cmd (or the start cmd)

Thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I can't make any sense of your post.  Internet explorer is a web browser; you use it to view websites.  You know that, right?  ::)  It is not a program used to open "files" on your computer.  So, your comments about " giving the file's name as a parameter" make no sense whatsoever in relation to using a web browser.

Salmon Trout

I need to do it from a program, without using the cmd (or the start cmd)

Why?

Salmon Trout

I can't make any sense of your post.  Internet explorer is a web browser; you use it to view websites.  You know that, right?  ::)  It is not a program used to open "files" on your computer.  So, your comments about " giving the file's name as a parameter" make no sense whatsoever in relation to using a web browser.

He's asking about internet shortcuts; these are text files that follow the standard .ini file format. They have the extension .url Here are a couple of examples

Code: [Select]
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    Prop3=19,2
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54729
    IDList=

It's simple enough to parse out the line that starts URL= but I want to know why the OP is specifying this

I need to do it from a program, without using the cmd (or the start cmd)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    couldn't one use the start command to do this as well by invoking the default verb on the url file?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

couldn't one use the start command to do this as well by invoking the default verb on the url file?

That would invoke the default browser; he says in his subject line he wants to run iexplore.exe, (why?) and he says he wants to do it "from a program" (why?)...

without using the cmd (or the start cmd)

s_r

Topic Starter

Hi,

First of all, it's a she.
      And to answer your questions:
      Not using the cmd is part of the requirements, and the reasons are complicated, so I'll leave it for now.
      That would invoke the default browser; he says in his subject line he wants to run iexplore.exe, (why?) and he says he wants to do it "from a program" (why?)...

I need to do it automatically in a special case, and writing a batch file or a python script to do it will force me changing the design.

In the meantime  I found out that giving the url file with full path works just fine - if I give only the filename, it treats it as a url.

Thanks

Raptor

So you want to open a webpage from a command line?

firefox.exe -new-tab computerhope.com

Works for me. Just point it to the Firefox directory first.