Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Can I Install Device Drivers Manually In Win 7?  (Read 3523 times)

moonape

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
How Can I Install Device Drivers Manually In Win 7?
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
When I connect my Android Tablet to the PC via USB, Windows 7 installs the wrong driver automatically. I have the correct driver in a folder but when I try to update in Device Manager > "The best driver for your device is already installed". If I uninstall the driver the device disappears from Device Manager.

How can I locate the device & install the driver without Windows interfering ???

truenorth

Guru

Re: How Can I Install Device Drivers Manually In Win 7?
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »

moonape

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
    Here's the method: during the driver update process select - "Browse my computer for driver updates" then select - "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" select - "Have Disk" - browse to where the new driver is stored - Select it.

The drivers don't work anyway so back to square one. 8)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
      So just to be clear your connection between the 2 devices cannot be achieved. Both with the alleged "The best driver for your device is already installed". and somehow you have determined that the downloaded driver you had wanted to install manually also doesn't work. Is that correct or have you still been unable to do the manual install to see if it will work?truenorth

moonape

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
      The manual install worked but Windows doesn't like the driver.:-\

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
      It depends on what you're trying to get the phone to do as well. Install the basic driver will usually only allow you to connect to the phone as a mass storage device or in some cases connect to the internet through the phone. Sometimes you can't do anything with the phone.

If you want more functionality than this, you will likely need to install the software suite that either came with the phone or it can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. For example, the software suite for Samsung phones is called Samsung Kies. Software like this is sometimes required to get complete functionality out of the phone when connected to a computer, and sometimes even basic functions like browsing the contents or connecting to the internet. It really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even phone to phone.

The manual install worked but Windows doesn't like the driver.:-\

What do you mean it doesn't like it? Can you be more specific?

Are you sure the driver you gave it was compatible with Windows 7? XP, Vista, and 7 drivers are rarely interchangeable.

moonape

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
      « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
      The culprit was a USB hub. I bought an A4Tech Hubmaster 4 port USB Hub (with PS2 connectors and audio jacks) from Maplin Electronics in London. Although the Hub charged my mobile phone & recognized the wireless keyboard, it would not read my iPod or USB stick so I returned it. The sales assistant  persuaded me to exchange it, this time it read the USB stick but not the the iPod however I decided to keep it.

Whenever the Tablet was connected to the PC, Windows would not recognize it & gave error messages when I tried to install drivers. I had been trying like for 2 days with drivers from various sources, as soon as the USB Hub was removed from the equation Windows recognized the Tablet & installed the USB driver. There was still an ! mark next to a USB device in Windows Device Manager so I installed one of the Onda drivers & it disappeared.

The lesson here is don't use faulty hardware because you can get unpredictable results. 8)