Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unwanted sidebar. Why?  (Read 2621 times)

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

Unwanted sidebar. Why?
    « on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »
    Just a question please. How did this happen?
    Vista home premium. Computer running normally. Left it running when I went for a meal.(Not sleep mode)
    Returned and livened it. The desktop came up with a vertical sidebar, with an alphabetical list of my C Drive folders. which could be dragged sideways to show more of the folders.
    No problems. I did s system restore and all was normal.
    But it puzzles me as a non expert how this could happen without any input from me.Could you please explain what happened?
    Has been operating normally ever since.
    Cheers

Darthgumby

Beginner
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Unwanted sidebar. Why?
      « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
      Hmm...I'm not to sure why it would have happened, but I see why you would be concerned.  I would keep an eye on it over the next couple of days to see if anything else strange happens, and maybe take note of what happened and when.  Otherwise, a system restore has been known to clear up a variety of issues, and could very well have resolved this.

I don't think it was anything like a virus, as a virus tends to be more malicious and major than something like this.  It is more likely you hit the wrong key combination, or a program failed to open or close properly.  If you are really concerned, you may want to run a virus scan to make sure nothing is hiding out on your machine.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Unwanted sidebar. Why?
        « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:47 AM »
        Thanks for the reply. I neglected to add that I had run several virus scans which did not raise anything significant.
        Thanks again. Will watch out.