Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD as a jump drive  (Read 5360 times)

moosehead

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HDD as a jump drive
    « on: March 11, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
    I have searched the forums before posting and couldn't find an answer. I had a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop for 11 years and it finally died but I ordered a cable to connect my old HDD 80 GB to my new computer and access the files on the drive (mainly Itunes). I have been using it this way for about 3 months and I was deleting old files from it and accidentally deleted some important windows files and now it will not work. Is there any way to install a OS on it using the USB cable because I have nothing the HDD will go into to use a cd to install files from. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HDD as a jump drive
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Which computer do you wish to restore? In any case recovery and restore and installation of Windows OS is always from a CD or DVD. But there are some few exceptions.

Which winds OS do you wish to install?  What is the model of the PC you wish to restore or repair?

A video tutorial:
    How to Setup and Install Windows XP - SIMPLE - YouTube

moosehead

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
      I wish to restore the 80 GB that I was using as a jump drive and it had XP on it. I am using an Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter to operate the 80 GB HDD. Before when I plugged it into my HP desktop I could move files back and forth to e 80GB. Now that some of the windows files were deleted off the 80GB when I plug it into my HP it doesn't recognize it where as before it would open up and I could use the files off of the 80GB. Thanks alot for trying to help me it is greatly appreciated!!

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
      What's a "jump drive"?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
      What's a "jump drive"?
      I believe that term is used for a USB device that looks like a hard drive.

OP:, I misunderstood. The 80GB drive was only being used because it had data on it. You wanted to same your music and data files. Right? If so, ignore my post about installing windows.

It would seem that you can not write or delete files from the 80 GB drive. When you deleted files, the file system got damaged. Sorry, this is an issue with using USB adapters with drives that were formatted in a different environment.**  You may wish to try a data recovery program
      Another video:
      Free partition recovery software to recover data from lost partitions
      But below is better:.
      How to Recover Deleted Files with Free Software

** Only read from a USB drive that was formatted with a different controller. The problem lies with the design of the USB adapters, not your computer. Please don't ask me why . Trust me on this one! (I don't have the documentation.)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
      What's a "jump drive"?

I believe that term is used for a USB device that looks like a hard drive.

JumpDrive™ is a Lexar brand name for a Universal Serial Bus (USB) storage device, also called a USB flash drive (UFD). As is sometimes the case with brand names, the term “jumpdrive” is occasionally used by consumers when referring to any USB flash drive, in the same way “Kleenex” is often used to refer to any brand of facial tissue, or "Xerox" any brand of photocopier. Technically, the industry refers to these devices as UFDs, though consumers are mostly unfamiliar with the acronym, more often using terms like memory stick, jumpdrive, thumb drive, pen drive, flash drive, etc.

Sorry, this is an issue with using USB adapters with drives that were formatted in a different environment.

Only read from a USB drive that was formatted with a different controller.

This is nonsense.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
      Now that some of the windows files were deleted off the 80GB when I plug it into my HP it doesn't recognize it

This does not make sense. There are no "Windows files" on an external HDD that are needed to make it readable. Either you did something else or the drive or the cable has failed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:51:17 AM »
      Salmon Trout, No always nonsense. When it happens one time in a hundred, it still counts as reality, not nonsense. The USB to HDD controllers vary in quality and compatibility.

The OP is trying, was trying, to read data from a drive that was taken from a failing computer. The OP did not fully understand that an ad-hoc USB interface can ruin the file system when a write or delete is performed.
      He is not talking about an external drive that was set up in a quality enclose with a certified USB adapter from a major vendor.

It has happened to me more that once. It is near impossible o document. Hard to repeat. But those cheap adapters do fail. Treat nit a s read-only and you remain in the safe zone. Start writing and you risk losing the whole file system.

Improvised USB external drives are not suitable for regular use. This is the  minority report, but nit is right. Others have said this long before I said it. Not my idea, I got it from reading reviews of other users about the naked USB to HDD adapters on Amazon. I believe it, because it happened to me too.

This rant is about home brew external HDD, not about the well-made products from major companies that put the thing in a proper enclosure.

I do hope the OP was able to use a recovery program on the drive.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:01 AM »
      I'm extremely confused after reading all of your posts.... Did the OP state that his files were corrupted? Methinks no...

From what I understand, OP's laptop has died. OP wants to install an Operating system on the hard drive that he has salvaged. But the hard drive is a 2.5'' IDE one and he only has a USB enclosure for that. He wants to use it in another computer as his primary hard drive, but 2.5'' IDE is not compatible with standard desktop 3.5'' IDE.

Get this. It will save you a lot of trouble.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119245

Converts your laptop hard drive into a desktop one. Avoid the issues of flimsy USB adapters.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:51:07 AM »
      I'm extremely confused after reading all of your posts.... Did the OP state that his files were corrupted? Methinks no...

Same here.

From what I was able to decipher; the guy deleted a bunch of files from an external drive which was once used as an internal drive (hence the reason for Windows system files being present) and now the computer won't detect the USB drive and he thinks it's down to him having deleted the system files.

If my observation is correct, then there's a chance that removing the ghost entries for the device in question will resolve the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:14:43 AM »
      An 11 year old hard drive failing is not out of the ordinary, nor unexpected, regardless of the interface being used to access it.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

milmat1

Rookie
      • 10 + 10 = 4
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
        So you were using the External (JUMP) HD as a sole drive for the failed laptop right ??

And this external drive had the OS installed on it and the OS was corrupted ?

You wish to "Reinstall" windows x  onto the external drive ??

You can do that but I'll let someone else describe how....

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
        So you were using the External (JUMP) HD as a sole drive for the failed laptop right ??

And this external drive had the OS installed on it and the OS was corrupted ?

You can do that but I'll let someone else describe how....

This is not possible with Microsoft Windows. Neither practically nor legally.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
        This is not possible with Microsoft Windows. Neither practically nor legally.

Now we'll watch all the folks that will say " it can be done...i did it"

8)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
        Now we'll watch all the folks that will say " it can be done...i did it"

8)

Installing Windows on an external drive and having it boot?