Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: two issues  (Read 2705 times)

nyernga

Topic Starter

Rookie

two issues
    « on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
    Dell desktop. 1gb RAM, XP, cable modem

I have been unable to use system restore for quite a while now. It will go through the steps and even allow me to select a restore point but after it reboots it says "unable to restore"  No matter how far back I go or how recent it does the same thing.  I checked in "system" folder and the restore feature is turned on.

Issue 2 is video related. Whenever I play a video, regardless the source ie: youtube, facebook link, news from homepage it always stops to buffer. Makes watching on demand kinda frustrating. Never did this before except on a few sites and never with youtube.

any thoughts?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: two issues
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
    As for System Restore, it's a great feature - when it works. Unfortunately there are LOTS of stories about it not working when most needed. That's why I always suggest that EVERYONE should use disk imaging software on a regular basis.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
    Post the full computer model or details and try clearing your cache or temporary files. Looks like its an internet connection lag on your part.  What is your ISP subscription speed? Make sure to update also JavaRE and Adobe flash player.

Darthgumby

Beginner
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
      Your video problem is probably due to lack of RAM.  I had a cheap windows XP computer I bought from an auction a few years back for $40.  It would go online fine, but videos would really lag.  Upgraded from 512MB RAM to 1.5GB, and videos were much smoother online.  Your processor might also be holding you back, depending on what it is and how fast it runs.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »
      Your video problem is probably due to lack of RAM.  I had a cheap windows XP computer I bought from an auction a few years back for $40.  It would go online fine, but videos would really lag.  Upgraded from 512MB RAM to 1.5GB, and videos were much smoother online.  Your processor might also be holding you back, depending on what it is and how fast it runs.

OP has 1GB of RAM running Windows XP. RAM is not the issue.