Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD/DVD writer will not write  (Read 3248 times)

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    CD/DVD writer will not write
    « on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
    I have two CD/DVD writers on my pc (one internal and one external) and up until yesterday both were working fine and have been for a very long time.  For some reason they both have lost their ability to write.  I have made no major changes to the PC lately but it just happened out of the blue.
    I have a HP pavilion a 350n PC running Windows XP Home Version 2002, Service Pack 3.  Both writers are HP, one 300n and the other 556s.
    I ran them both through Microsoft's MS Fix It and in both cases I was told "drive is not capable of writing".  Also, when I opened the Properties for the drives there is no tab for RECORDING.
    I did a complete scan with both my anti-virus and anti-malware and all was fine.  I did a system restore,  I checked to make sure that the drivers and firmware were up to date, I re-installed Nero, I tried uninstalling both drives in the Device Manager and re-booted, I did a registy edit to make sure they were assigned the proper numbers, and I went to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and made sure the Imapi CD-burn Com was running and set to automatic, all to no avail.
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?  Seriously, I am going crazy here.  By the way, I am not a computer whiz, I did most of those things with the help of others on the internet.  Thank you.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: CD/DVD writer will not write
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
    Have you tried going to the CD/DVD manufacturer's site and upgrading your writers' firmware? Also, what is the make and model of your CD/DVD writer?

Try this:
    Open Device Manager.
    Expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
    Right click on the DVD drive and click Update Driver in the popup menu.
    Select "No, not this time" > Next > Install from a list or specific location > Next >
    click the box "Search removable media (floppy, cd-rom) to deselect it.
    Click the Browse button and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.
    Click OK > Next.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »
    Failure to write means :
    - the write LED is out. Kaput. Acabado.  :'(

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »
    Tried deleting upper and lowerfilter from the registry? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
      While it may evolve to be a fact that the "write" component of the drives may have failed. I am less inclined to see that is likely on TWO at the same instant. So don't shoot the horse just yet. Take the two drives(one at a time) and try them on another computer (not necessary but if the other computer uses different burning software that would be an added bonus)The internal one doesn't need to be actually installed as long as the appropriate cables are selected. Is the internal a SATA or IDE? Before you try the above you could try another burning software. There are a number of free ones available (burnaware is one). Any yellow warnings in device manager?truenorth

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
        Have you tried going to the CD/DVD manufacturer's site and upgrading your writers' firmware? Also, what is the make and model of your CD/DVD writer?

Try this:
        Open Device Manager.
        Expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
        Right click on the DVD drive and click Update Driver in the popup menu.
        Select "No, not this time" > Next > Install from a list or specific location > Next >
        click the box "Search removable media (floppy, cd-rom) to deselect it.
        Click the Browse button and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.
        Click OK > Next.

The internal burner is HP 300n and the external is HP556s.  I checked to make sure the drivers were up to date and both are.  I also updated the firmware for the 300n but I could not find a listing for firmware for the 556s.  That doesn't mean there isn't any, I just couldn't find it on the net.

I tried following your instructions but when I navigated to System 32 and selected Drivers the OK button was not an option (it wouldn't highlight so I could click it). The only option it gave me was Cancel.

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
          While it may evolve to be a fact that the "write" component of the drives may have failed. I am less inclined to see that is likely on TWO at the same instant. So don't shoot the horse just yet. Take the two drives(one at a time) and try them on another computer (not necessary but if the other computer uses different burning software that would be an added bonus)The internal one doesn't need to be actually installed as long as the appropriate cables are selected. Is the internal a SATA or IDE? Before you try the above you could try another burning software. There are a number of free ones available (burnaware is one). Any yellow warnings in device manager?truenorth

I already have another burning software.  It is Sonic Record Now Dwluxe but when I try to select a drive with it I get "No Recorder".  As for SATA or IDE I have no idea how to find that out.

No yellow warnings in Device Manager.

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
            Tried deleting upper and lowerfilter from the registry? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I went to the Microsoft link that you gave me and it said to use "if your drive is missing or not recognized by windows or other programs".  In my case they are not missing and they are recognized, but only as players not writers.  Do think that I should still try thay anyways?  I will give it a shot as long as it doesn't hurt anything.

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
              I went to the Microsoft link that you gave me and it said to use "if your drive is missing or not recognized by windows or other programs".  In my case they are not missing and they are recognized, but only as players not writers.  Do think that I should still try thay anyways?  I will give it a shot as long as it doesn't hurt anything.

Please pardon my spelling mistakes on that last post, I am very frustrated.  Thanks, Wayne

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »

Yes. Another description of the fix by Microsoft is "The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista"

So it's not just for disappearing CD-ROM drives.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
                Are you in a position to try this "Take the two drives(one at a time) and try them on another computer (not necessary but if the other computer uses different burning software that would be an added bonus)" ?truenorth

done4it

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
                  I want to thank all of you for your patience and help but my problem turned out to be a fairly simple one.  Apparently something happened to my PC that screwed up both of my software programs so I un-installed both and re-installed and they both work now.  At least I think that's what fixed them but it could also have been one of the many other things I tried, I guess I'll never know unless it happens again.  Once Again thanks a million.

Wayne

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
                    Glad to see it was "turned out to be a fairly simple one." truenorth