Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezes (repeat problem, returned)  (Read 12540 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Computer Freezes (repeat problem, returned)
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
Hello, My original thread is located here. I had thought it was solved but the problem has reappeared. All information in the other thread is  displayed in this one post.

Specs:

MSI 870A-G54 motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card
AMD Phenom II Quad core processor
16gb RAM
Windows 7 64-bit (also happened when in XP, I installed 7 a few months ago.)
Corsair GS 600 power supply

Problem:

-While using my computer, the screen will suddenly freeze, change a solid color, (red, blue, green, it is random, sometimes with lines drawn through it vertically or horizontally) and the sound will either keep playing, stutter, or stop playing(also random).
-It tends to group together, if it freezes once, it will freeze several times in an hour, but then it might not freeze again for a week or so.
-If it matters, I have a dual screen display, the freeze affects both screens, the Main screen will turn a random color, the secondary will stay back-lit but the screen turns black always.
-It has been happening for about 6 months.

Other Information:

-This has not happened to me while playing games or other graphic intensive activities, it only happens when I am browsing the web or just watching videos, or writing. This might be coincidence, but about 75% of my time on my computer is playing games(Skyrim, Mirror's Edge, Amnesia, Vindictus, Portal, all high quality).
-It does happen in Safe Mode.
-No error messages pop up.
-Sometimes the "Windows was shut down unexpectedly" screen shows up and sometimes it does not. When it does not show up, the computer gets stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen, I left it sitting there for 8-9 hours and when I had returned it had still not started windows.
-Recently, when I restart, it gets stuck on the screen that shows my motherboard information, I can not get into the BIOS settings, I have to do a hard reset several times to boot.

What I have done:

-First, I uninstalled/reinstalled my drivers for the video card and motherboard, and it worked okay for a few minutes then went into a series of crashes, same as before. Tried using old drivers, and new ones.
-Uninstalled Windows XP, formatted HD, and reinstalled Windows 7(for a different problem that was solved).
-Cleaned out case/Installed extra fan
-Ran the usual set of cleaners on the system.
-Checked the Event Viewer, the event ID for the only error was 41, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." All other events were only Information events about normal processes.
-My temps (running only Chrome, over 2 hour period) Motherboard 33-35C, Processor 24-27C, Video Card 48-52C
Running games (specifically Skyrim and Portal 2, high settings, over 2 hour period) Motherboard 34-37C, Processor 26-30C, Video Card 50-55C
-Ran Furmark, no problems
-Ran IntelBurnTest, no problems
-Ran MemTest86+, no problems
-Switched Video Card to other slot, seemed to fix it but now the problem has returned, switching card back to first slot did not fix it
-Bumped up the voltages of my CPU and RAM 0.05v each, did not help, so I reset to default voltages

Thank you to anyone who can help me. If I need to buy some new item for my computer, could someone recommend something that would work with my system? I am poor with knowing hardware. I would like to solve this without buying anything, if possible. Thank you to Transfusion who was helping before.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Re: Computer Freezes (repeat problem, returned)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
I have a theory that this is related to the graphics card not being able to handle too low clocks. (I know, sounds strange, but... I searched around on Google and some people who want performance computing want their core clocks at max and their memory clocks at minimum, and usually the PC will crash when the mem clock goes too low.)
I get my idea from http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670833 and several threads on GPU-based Bitcoin mining.

First of all, in your BIOS, disable AMD Cool 'N Quiet, if it is enabled.
Second, while you are browsing webpages or just sitting on your desktop, have a small DirectX program looping in the background just so your graphics card will run at 3D clocks, like this demo http://downloadcenter24.com/video-and-dvd/rthdribl.html just run it and keep it minimized. Then keep browsing webpages or do whatever you think causes the problem.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
Hello again, and thanks so much for all of your help so far.

Okay, AMD Cool N' Quiet was set to Auto, so I disabled it. I have been running rthdribl and have not crashed yet. Ran without rthdribl and found a way to make my system crash, specifically having 3+ tabs/windows open, and playing music or watching a video.

I will be running with rthdribl for the next few days just to be sure, but if it is that my graphics card can't handle low clocks, how would I adjust that? I am afraid overclocking is something I have never done before.

Thank you!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
I agree with transfusion about it being related to the graphics card. I've been through two graphics cards on my main computer. It seems like there are a lot more defective ones out now. Do you have a cheap graphics card that you can just test in the comp to see if it resolves the problem. It looks like you have already tried everything else I would have  :)
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
Unfortunately I do not have another card to test it with. I was going to try connecting my monitor to the motherboard directly, but the plug on my monitor is the same as the connector on the board (male to male) so that will not work either. I will try to find a spare card to test though, thanks!

I still have not managed to crash (as long as I have rthdribl running) so I think it is just a matter of fixing what Transfusion said, about low clocks.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:55:46 AM »
This is quite relevant to your problem:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281111-33-overdrive-underclocks
Apparently people are experiencing identical issues to yours with HD 5850s and dual monitor setups with AMD Overdrive enabled.

its because you have dual monitors (or more). I am using dual monitors and my 2d low power clocks are 400/900. if you are using single monitor they are 157/300.
Ah... that explains.
the 2d clock seems to be the problem you can access the the clock rates though the profile manger in options though the save config file that appers when you save a profile locataion C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
i have applied the setting like instructed it didn't help but then i played with the voltage setting i set it to
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1000"/>
<Property name="Want_1" value="1000"/>
<Property name="Want_2" value="1125"/>

which is 1 volt
that seem to help i also set the core clock and the memeroy to

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="39800" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="86000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
Instead of following the above post LEAVE THE VOLTAGE ALONE and set the clocks to this:

Code: [Select]
<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="77500" />
</Feature>
<Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
Okay, this is the part where I start sounding stupid. Bear with me, please.

you can access the the clock rates though the profile manger in options though the save config file that appers when you save a profile locataion C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
This is the options in the AMD control center, right? There is no *option* tab, and when I try to save an application profile, it does not save. There is a drop-down menu in the 3D control center that says *New Application* but no applications are listed. I can not find settings for any 2D clocks. I have attached a screenshot to illustrate.

Also, there is no AppData folder in C:\Users\(my name)\. The only AppData folder I could find is under C:\Windows\System32\Config\SteamProfiles
There are several ATI folders but none that have a subfolder or file named ACE or Profiles.

Thank you.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
Yeah but from what I know of the Vision Control Center and AMD Overdrive doesn't allow changing of desktop clocks...
C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
You need to have "show hidden folders" enabled to access the AppData folder...

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
Thanks, Transfusion, I found the folder and altered the profile. Have not crashed yet, will wait a few days this time before marking as solved again.

You guys are great! Thanks so much!

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:16:32 AM »
Once more I return, my computer froze up again today, although it took more that it did before (I had several tabs open, was playing music, had a few Notepads open too).

I made sure I was still running the altered profile (I was) and I checked the event viewer (still no events).

The computer seemed to stutter for a moment before it froze, which was new, I was scrolling down the page when the desktop stuttered into view (the browser window disappeared for a moment), then everything froze. I can replicate the freeze but not the stutter.

I was using both monitors. My temps were around 38 C, video card was 44 C. Thanks for any help.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Hmm... This is quite a sticky problem...  Since it didn't crash with RTHDRIBL... let's have it run in 3D mode at all times.
For the clocks:

<Property name="Want_0" value="77500" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="77500" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="77500" />
</Feature>
<Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
For the voltage:
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1130"/>
<Property name="Want_1" value="1130"/>
<Property name="Want_2" value="1130"/>

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
Okay put in the new code, and applied the profile. No crash yet, Once again I will wait a few days before marking as solved, thanks again. ^.~

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
Well it crashed again today, while watching YouTube videos (I did not have rthdribl running at the time). I checked and I was running the modified profile. It also got stuck on the screen where it shows my motherboard specs, I could not even get into BIOS. I had to restart 3-4 times to get it to start. Thanks for all your help. ^.^

I have been thinking of getting a new video card, both to test with and upgrade, do you think this would help? What kind would be compatible?

joy division

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
How old is the power supply ?

I doubt you've got a PSU of equal/greater wattage laying around, but if you can get a cheap digital muti-meter for 20 bucks, google how to test a power supply and test that sucker out. 

If it's not the psu, it's probably your video card failing.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
I have tested with a seperate PSU, both less than 6 months and both 600 watts. I am prepared to buy an upgraded videocard anyways, but I am not sure what kind would be compatible. Thanks though.