Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP with SP1 not recognizing 250gb HDD spac  (Read 2661 times)

zazzy

Windows XP with SP1 not recognizing 250gb HDD spac
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:44:32 PM »
I've recently purchased a 250gb HDD, USB connection.
When I try to transfer files to it, only 4gb is being recognized, the rest is "unallocated".
I have tried locating updates or upgrades for my BIOS (Aopen MX4LS), but haven't found any. My chipset is up to date.
It doesn't seem to be recognized by my BIOS, but in Windows, it shows the full volume.
What can I do, so that I can use it ?

Raptor

Re: Windows XP with SP1 not recognizing 250gb HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »
What file system is used?

If this concerns a slave drive and not a clean Windows XP install, you will have to reformat the HDD first by using Windows disk management.

zazzy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »
My other 2 - 40gb drives are using NTFS.
When I checked in Disk Management - it showed the new HDD as FAT, 4gb as being Healthy & the rest of the drive was 'unallocated'.
I thought, that by pluggin' in the HDD, (it automatically was set-up by Windows) - that it should be useable.
Could my system not be capable of handling more than 2 drives, 1 CD ROM & 1 CD Writer ??

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:53:19 AM »
I thought, that by pluggin' in the HDD, (it automatically was set-up by Windows) - that it should be useable.

You have to allocate space first and then reformat it.

All new Hard Disk Drives need to be reformatted before use.