Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turbo Tax  (Read 2909 times)

joy division

Turbo Tax
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
Anybody use Turbo Tax ?

I'm planning to get the Home/Business version.  I read on the Turbo Tax site that it allows you to download the latest tax forms.  The Home/Business package sells for about $110 on the Turbo Tax website, but I'm planning to get a used package from Amazon.  Do used or older versions of Turbo Tax allow upgrading to the latest tax forms without any problems?  I would think so, but wanted to see if anyone could verify..  thx

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Turbo Tax
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
1.  Anybody use Turbo Tax ?
2.  I'm planning to get the Home/Business version. 
3.  I read on the Turbo Tax site that it allows you to download the latest tax forms.
4.  The Home/Business package sells for about $110 on the Turbo Tax website, but I'm planning to get a used package from Amazon. 
5.  Do used or older versions of Turbo Tax allow upgrading to the latest tax forms without any problems?  I would think so, but wanted to see if anyone could verify..  thx
1.  Every year.
2.  That's the version you need if you have real business with a tax number.  I suspect you don't.
3.  It's automatic
4.  You need TT2011, if it's an earlier version, it won't work for Tax Year 2011.
5.  No.

joy division

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
Actually I do have a tax id #...  I've been developing a private computer repair bus. for almost two years.

Ok, so if USED, it doesn't upgrade to allow filing for 2012 when the times comes ?  But if I buy one new it DOES allow upgrading for filing later years ?

joy division

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
Yes, you have to buy it every year.  The cost is tax deductible if you itemize.
How have you been doing your taxes until now?
I used the Business version until this year.  The Home & Business combo was not the right one for me.  Had to use the Business one, then the individual one so had to buy 2 different ones.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

joy division

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
My situation is kind of complicated.  I haven't been required to file for the past 12 years or so, to make a long story short.  But 2011 was slow since I didn't advertise much and naturally not many people know about me yet... On top of that I moved to another city after the little advertising I DID do...  :P  I haven't advertised much because I haven't had all the equipment/parts I need for troubleshooting computers in a timely manner. Been buying a little each month.

I actually discovered recently that cSet, a tax prep. service in my area will do my taxes for free since I meet the requirements for the service.  I hoped turbo tax was a one-time-purchase-thing so I wouldn't have to bother with buying it every year..... Great that it's tax deductible but I'd rather just get the free service.  ;D