Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista Install freezes on a brand new HDD.  (Read 2798 times)

AlohaDad

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Vista Install freezes on a brand new HDD.
    « on: March 23, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
    Hi, I dropped my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1720) and it died on me. I replaced the HDD afterwards, however after replacing it, and trying to install Windows Vista it always freezes. I have tried every option on the install screens. I've reformatted it and tried over and over again to no avail. I've looked through the FAQ's and haven't found anything about this so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

joy division

Re: Windows Vista Install freezes on a brand new HDD.
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
    Have you checked the disc to make sure it's not scratched or smudged ? 

It obviously wasn't the hard drive that was damaged when the laptop was dropped (it might have been damaged, but there is something else in the system not working too).  Try re-seating the ram (also try the installation with only one ram module installed, and/or one ram module in each slot). The problem could also be just some component or cable in the system that jarred loose on impact, but you'd have to disassemble the laptop to re-seat all the internal components...not a quick and easy job.  If it's none of the above, you're probably looking at a motherboard replacement.

Just to be thorough, check the voltage output of the charger with a volt meter and try the install without battery installed.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows Vista Install freezes on a brand new HDD.
    « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »
    How far do you get into the install before it freezes? What's the last screen you see?

Are you using the disk that came with your computer?

Is this a new or used hard drive?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/