Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help reformatting my internal HDD to a windows format  (Read 4813 times)

riplee661

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi, i used to have a linux(ubuntu) and now i regret ever trying to use it and i just want my windows vista back...but when i ran windows installer off of my usb flash drive it said "Hard drive must be ntfs format for installation" but i have no clue how to re format my hard drive so i can re install windows...any help or suggestions?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: I need help reformatting my internal HDD to a windows format
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
    For beginners not familiar with GRUB you can always install Ubuntu within Windows, via the "Add or Remove" programs section:   http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
    In case you ever plan on trying Ubuntu again... don't be afraid to experiment with your computer...

In the Windows installer there is an option to manage your partitions... just delete all the partitions, and you will be left with unallocated space, then create a new partition and format it as NTFS.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

riplee661

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
      when i installed ubuntu i completly erased windows vista...and now im trying to get it back,there are no traces of windows left to go and uninstall ubuntu

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
      So you have already messed up your installation without any NTFS partitions, and your Linux partition is unreadable by the Windows installer. Do not fear.
      http://dban.org/
      Download and burn to a DVD. If you don't have a DVD http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-dban-to-a-usb-flash-drive-using-windows/ and boot it on your problem computer.
      It will wipe ALL, I REPEAT ALL the drives attached to your computer, including their partition tables. Do not have any other drives plugged in except your flash drive that you are booting from or your DVD drive. If you have another hard drive/SSD inside your computer disconnect it, as it will also be wiped.
      After you wipe the hard drive a block of unallocated space the size of your hard drive should show up in the Windows installer, and you should be able to proceed.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »
      Just curious...
      ...but when i ran windows installer off of my usb flash drive...
      What sort of Vista installer runs off a flash drive? I thought you alwasy install Vista off of the DVD. Is there a USB version?

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
      I remember once setting up Windows Setup (Vista I think?) to run off of a flash drive, and it couldn't detect ANY harddrive on the system. Booted off a DVD and it worked fine. BTW you can completely format the harddrive within the Windows Setup DVD, if there is no option to do so then just CTRL+SHIFT+F10 to get to command prompt, where you can use both format and diskpart utilities..
      If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.