Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Won't Boot or Power Off  (Read 3786 times)

ajmeier

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Won't Boot or Power Off
    « on: March 27, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »
    Hi! I have a Toshiba Satellite A665D and yesterday i put it to sleep (Fn+F3) then when i came back an hour and a half later the screen was blank, the power button and lights were still on but the fan was not going and it wouldn't respond to anything. When i tried holding down the power button to turn off the power it wouldn't respond to that and I had to take the battery out to kill it. Then when i tried to turn it back on the same thing happened. It would work for a 1/2 second, the power lights would turn on then it would do nothing... blank screen and stop responding to anything. I had the tech guy at the gym i work at look at it and he said the hard drive and memory was fine but was stumped as to the problem. Anyone on here have any ideas???

joy division

Re: Computer Won't Boot or Power Off
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »

It would work for a 1/2 second, the power lights would turn on then it would do nothing.

Do you have an external monitor you can hook up to it?

It's needed to determine whether the problem is with the display hardware or somewhere else.  Look at the manual for how to toggle the image on screen to the external...sometimes it doesn't happen automatically. 

<make sure the computer is powered off when you plug the monitor in>
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:48:56 PM by joy division »

ajmeier

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
      I have not tried this, but the tech guy i had helping me seemed to think the monitor was fine. The problem was when i hit the power button the computer doesn't turn on or off. You can't hear the computer booting it's not just a failed screen

joy division

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
      If that technician knew what he was talking about you wouldn't be posting on this forum most likely, because he would know how to fix it. If you want the technician to help you then you should follow what HE says, otherwise you're going to have to trust the advise you get. 

Your display hardware is comprised of 3 basic parts...The LCD, the back light (which happen to be LEDs, in this case) and the LED power supply which is the dc-dc converter which people generically call an "inverter" because they haven't worked with newer type display hardware in laptops.  Most times the converter is integrated on the LCD logic board, but on some models it's a separate piece. If the LCD, converter, or LED system go out, your computer is probably still working, it's just not able to display the image due to a failure on either of those three parts (it could also be the screen data cable also).  If you plug in an external monitor and it works, then that tells you the computer is working, and the problem is in one of those three screen parts.  So we've isolated the problem to the screen and we can work from there.  If an external monitor doesn't work then that tells you the problem is somewhere besides the screen...and we'll know where to go from there and know with high confidence which replacement part/s you need. 

joy division

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »
      Does anything at all appear on the screen when you hit the power button ? My impression is that you see nothing on the screen when you turn on the computer.

ajmeier

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
        I'll see if i can try the monitor thing if i can. No nothing comes up on the monitor, it doesn't even light up. I was just skeptical that it was that because when i hit the power button it really doesn't sound like ANYTHING is running in the background or not. It doesn't make the usual start up noises and you certainly can't hear the fan running. But i will see if i can find an external monitor to try out

joy division

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
        You could also try starting up the laptop with only one stick of ram installed. If one doesn't work when starting up the laptop then try the other one.  If it boots up then one of the ram modules is bad and you'll know which one.  If you get nothing with one ram module, try one module in each slot, to rule out a bad slot.

Before you bend over backward hunting down a monitor, you might want to try this first.  The external monitor is ONE place to start troubleshooting.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
          When doing some research on your problem for you there were instances where the model "Thrive" kept coming up in regards to your stated computer. If so there seems to be a common recurrence of this "sleep" related issue with that series. Toshiba is apparently aware of it and has a fix for it. Here is a link to one of the sites witch purports to deal with the issue.
          http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/download/Fix+Toshiba+Thrive+Tablet.html
          good luck,truenorth