Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP laptop wireless driver  (Read 15943 times)

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
HP laptop wireless driver
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Hey everyone,
I recieved an old hp laptop from a friend and it had several windows related issues so i installed XP fresh.
My issue comes in that I cannot find the driver to allow me to connect to wireless internet.
Is it just a driver I need to download? If so a kick in the right direction would be nice.
If not what else can it be.
Good with building computers, the worst with drivers.

Thanks a lot

Computer is a:

HP Pavilion DV6500
XP SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2
1 GB RAM
250 GB HDD
1394 Net Adapter

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HP laptop wireless driver
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
Laptop drivers should always come from the manuf. site...
It wil either be included in the MBoard chipset set or listes as a WLAN driver...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
downloaded the network drivers from here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3380544#N365

and installed.

When HP Wireless Assistant opens it says that Wireless LAN has been disabled in Windows Device Manager.

When I go to Device Manager I cannot find any place to enable anything network related that isnt enabled already

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
    I am wondering why you are posing this same issue on two different CH forums? This one and the windows XP forum. I have answered you there and it is along the same line as patio's answer here. It does NOT ensure any faster or better replies and can potentially lead to confusion as a member may answer one being unaware (as i was ) of the existence of another. One post on the issue ensures a better flow of responses. truenorth

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
    sorry about that true. didnt really think it was only a driver issue the more i looked at it, so i thought the XP section would be better. I will close this one up and focus on the other wall post. my bad. yes it was a rookie move.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
      Unfortunately YOU cannot close  the other post. But not to be troubled we have all been there at one time. truenorth