Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: administrator  (Read 2883 times)

xfls#777

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    administrator
    « on: April 01, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
    How do I cancel the original administrator account on my laptop and set myself as the administrator?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: administrator
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
    You don't. You cannot delete the default admin account, but you can add a new one.

xfls#777

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
      I guess my question is, "did the original owner set himself as the administrator and if so, is this limiting my access to certain functions?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
      I don't know.

Again, you can set up a new account. And if there is an account created by someone else, you can delete it after you create the new one.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »
      If the account name is "Administrator", it's the default administrator account and can't be deleted, as Allan said.

You can have multiple administrator accounts on a single machine. From the main administrator account, go to User Accounts in the control panel. Select your normal account, click "Change account type" and switch it from "Standard user" to "Administrator".

Any other administrator accounts that you do not want can be deleted, except for the Windows default administrator account. To delete other accounts, click "Manage another account". From this next screen, you can enable or disable the guest account, and delete any other accounts. To delete an unwanted account, click the account then click "Delete the account". You will be given the option to either delete or keep that user account's files which will save documents, favorites, music, pictures, videos, etc. into a new folder on your administrator account's desktop. All email messages and other settings from the deleted user account will be lost.