Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HARd drive Issues!! Broken LinkS?  (Read 6974 times)

MaDman

HARd drive Issues!! Broken LinkS?
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:47:14 PM »
I recently bought a computer
AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+
Asus K8v se Deluxe
Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Ati radeon 9800 pro 256mb videocard
and 1.28 or so GB RAM...

My computer was working fine for about 3 weeks and then on day when i installed mcafee virus scan it found 2 viruses and it quarintined them.. after that my computer doesnt let me run anything.. when i click on an icon or a program of even my computer is says could not be found please search and find this file...... the only thing that works is the browser (i typed in a url into the run box)... could this be because of the viruses that were deleteD? or is a setting set wrong ??? ??? ??? all i know is i need an answer.. this is killing me

Raptor

Re: HARd drive Issues!! Broken LinkS?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 04:28:35 AM »
What operating system is installed?

If it is XP I suggest you boot with the XP disk inserted and use the "repair option"

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 04:41:31 AM »
Make sure your antivirus is updated and scan again.  Download the many free scanners for spy/adware as well and run those if you can.

Will your apps work in safe mode?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 04:42:18 AM by Joleen »

MaDman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 09:53:29 AM »
i hav XP.....
here is what happened.. one of the quartined files werent actually infected with a virus. mcafee just deleted it.... i restored it and it worked....
and today when i was searching spyware i deleted a few things and when i rebooted  and i clicked on an app it says
"This file does not hav a file associated with it running" or something like that...(im so angry .. it worked but now its broken..)

p.s. my spyware remover has a restore point thingy but i cant access it because it wont let me run anything but my browser (i explained earlier how i got in) >:( >:( >:(
>:(  thnx

and another thing.. i recently found out it might be a virus in the files SVCHOST.EXE and SMSSNY.EXE in C:\windows (these files are what start programs and folders etc. .... is there anywhere i can re-download these files to clean the virus?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 10:21:08 AM by MaDman »

Raptor

Re: HARd drive Issues!! Broken LinkS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:12 AM »
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ - Trend Micro- Free online virus scan

You may be able to run this from your browser.

I suggest you use the repair function whilst booting from the XP CD once you have scanned for viruses.

MaDman

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »
I tried mcafee and housetrend scanner
in mcafee SMSSNY.EXE and SVCHOST.EXE were infected with w32/torvil@MM
with housetrend it also showed these files infected... these are critical system files and i cant clean them (they are uncleanable) and i cant delete them because they are needed files :'( lol what do i do now?

p.s. i am NOT going to reinstall windows xp

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 12:05:07 PM »
Just as I was about to force you to reinstall XP...

I never mentioned ANYWHERE that you should reinstall Xp. Repairing and reinstalling are two different things. They may not be different to you, but they certainly are different to me.

I suggest you boot into safemode and use a (Professional) virus scanner from there with the latest updates.

I donot know what kind of Mcafee scanner you are using, I am not aware of free Mcafee editions, but if you are using a free edition I suggest you replace it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 12:09:43 PM by Raptor »

MaDman

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 03:17:37 PM »
ok number 1) i know u didnt say to reinstall windows... i am just saying with my new problems that no matter what it MIGHT lead to i dont want to reinstall windows
2) i had mcafee viruscan v8.0 and it found the virus.. but then some reason it went berserk so i uninstalled it from my pc...
3) the mcafee free scanner i found at their website
4) safe mode has the same effects as it does in regular mode.. so safemode does not help me at all in this case...

sad 2 say this might be a huge problem :(

MaDman

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »
and one more thing... if you cant solve the problem at least help me access one program (SpyBot Search and Destroy) all i need to do is hit undo and recover .. and then i can finish the rest myself... so mainly all i  really need is access to that program (even though a solution to the whole problem would be nice)

MaDman

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
ok... im going 2 explain everything from the beggning lol... because i keep talking about stuff u might not know about.. so here it goes

1)Installed virusscan v8 Mcafee
2) detected torvil virus in svchost.exe and in smssny.exe in C:\Windows
3)deleted both of the files
4) i could not run any applications.... ( as i explained in first post on this topic)
5)i returned the 2 infected files back into WINDOWS.... and everything worked fine..
6) ran spybot search and destroy... found spyware and deleted it... and Set a restore point...
7) couldnt run applications again.. like in beginning

now all i need is to run spybot and i can restore what i deleted... after that i removing the worms is another problem that i can solve my self..

many thanks

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 04:24:16 PM »
Boot from your Windows XP CD and run the repair option.

MaDman

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »
i just found out another thing to my problem lol...
i cant run exe's .... i can only run the files that exe's  make and read.. such as a .zip file i can open with winzip.. thats how i could start winzip.....that is how i started ie ,.. i typed in a url and it ran the url.. which launched ie.. hope this helps....
and i can launch all my programs from safe mode with command prompt

many thanks...
repair on xp cd didnt work

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 04:33:22 AM »
You could try to over-write Windows XP but I heavily doubt that will do you any good. You will not have to format, but I donot think your system will be as stable as it was before it was infected.

I doubt it was very stable back then, but you can try.

I donot know what you should do, either that or format. E-mail Microsoft technical support or phone them.

Joleen

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 05:20:02 AM »
p.s. i am NOT going to reinstall windows xp

Hah!  Another poor soul who thinks Microsoft would actually consider giving them a choice.