Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Is Totally Dead  (Read 4450 times)

bootzy

Computer Is Totally Dead
« on: July 09, 2004, 10:39:34 AM »
I just recently built a computer, ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, with a p4 processor and a 400 watt power supply.  I had everything hooked up and the computer was running great for several days.  Last night I had just configured my sound card, and was hooking up my speakers, and because I needed more sockets for the speakers, I decided to move all the plugs to one power strip.  I plugged everything into the strip, and everything worked fine (monitor, speakers, etc.) but not the computer.  I tried to turn it on and nothing happened.  So I flipped the switch in the back a few times, nothing.  The light on the motherboard doesn't even turn on.  I've checked the connections to the motherboard and also tried using a new power cord, neither has worked.  I don't know if something is wrong with the motherboard or the power supply.  There was also a bit of a thunderstorm last night, but there wasnt a power outage that I was aware of.  I have heard that power outages can mess up the power though.  Please help!

merlin

Re: Computer Is Totally Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 01:59:47 PM »
thunderstorms have been the down fall on many a mobo .some people have surge protecters on their system to prevent this sorry to be the bearer of bad news i hope i am wrong ....does the capasitors lean on the board any signs or scorching or tracking ..shine a touch under the board you will have take it out of the case to this...try rebuilding it again take out the cpu ram and cards...without specialize equipment it hard to check the mobo..borrow a board from some to eliminate the mobo..

Sean

Re: Computer Is Totally Dead
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
do you think there could be a slight possibilty that its the power supply that got messed up, not the motherboard?  I just want to know for sure which it is.