Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: QjoyPad failing in every way  (Read 6864 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
QjoyPad failing in every way
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
Hello to all.
I am trying to configure an old joystick setup i have (saitek X45's) To work as a gaming controller and as a mouse, if possible, durring regular computer use.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10, and have my updates up to date.
I have installed several other tools to aid in the QjoyPad installation, allthough i cant name them off the top of my head. But includes joystick repository and the build-essential repository.

I run the -tar -xzvf... ext, then change directories into the QjoyPad
from there, i run the ./config with the argument --prefix="home/%user%" due to worry that not having permission to write to the system disk is a problem

My basic error is that it tells me Error 1, which i have no understanding of.
this is the full reply after running the "Make" Command
Code: [Select]
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_WEBKIT -DDEVDIR="/dev/input" -DICON24="/home/jaredkat/share/pixmaps/qjoypad/icon24.png" -DICON64="/home/jaredkat/share/pixmaps/qjoypad/icon64.png" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Itrayicon -I. -o axis.o axis.cpp
In file included from component.h:13:0,
                 from axis.h:8,
                 from axis.cpp:1:
event.h:5:34: fatal error: X11/extensions/XTest.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [axis.o] Error 1

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: QjoyPad failing in every way
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
It says it can not find a file in the directory specified.
X11/extensions/XTest.h
Either it is not in the right place, or you don't ave it.
This may help"
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5073040/how-to-find-x11-extensions-xtest-h

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
This is what i mean by failing in every way. I have already solved another error, somehow, and then the error 1 is there. Now it is still there, giving me the output of this:

Code: [Select]
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_WEBKIT -DDEVDIR="/dev/input" -DICON24="/home/jaredkat/share/pixmaps/qjoypad/icon24.png" -DICON64="/home/jaredkat/share/pixmaps/qjoypad/icon64.png" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Itrayicon -I. -o axis.o axis.cpp
axis.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool Axis::read(QTextStream*)’:
axis.cpp:23:37: error: ‘class QString’ has no member named ‘lower’
axis.cpp:25:22: error: ‘split’ is not a member of ‘QStringList’
make: *** [axis.o] Error 1

Now what??  i did the sudo apt-get install libxtst-dev package and all.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:03:04 AM »
And if someone has an easyer way to get this done, that would be awesome, because most software packages for joysticks i find does not allow for using the joystick as a mouse itself, which is what i need for most of my games.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
Joysticks are absolute position devices. Like a puck. It can generate data constantly even while still.
A mouse is a relative movement device. It generates data when moved. Or a button is pressed.

Here is a general coverage of the pointing devises commonalty used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_device

Maybe it would be easier to use a different type of device.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
I would look into that if i had a budget of more than 10 bucks
I usually find stuff that friends have or in a thrift store and find uses for them, and i happen to have the Saitek joystick

Since i could not get QjoyPad to work, i since tried rejoystick, and it works.... Somewhat.
The problem is that i am trying to adjust some of the buttons to do other functions, like i want button 6 to be right click, button 1 left click, axis 9 to be the w key, ext. and for some reason rejoystick maps out my axis's strangly compared to the jstest utility.

Either way, i suppose that the question has changed to how to configure with rejoypad.

The documentation that came with the app is very limited. The official site for the app is the first google result pending searching rejoypad.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Nevermind about rejoypad. I am using qjoypad, only problem is that i canot access it the dialog box for mapping out the axis and buttons. Help???

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:21 PM »
Re-installing the whole operating system helped greatly. I am able to run QJoyPad, with only one bug

I can not access the configuration dialog from the taskbar icon, and have to run it with the argument of no taskbar.

Otherwise, it works perfectly.