Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Adobe products (and others that might be related)  (Read 2455 times)

rockerest

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Here's what's happening:

When I try to update any of:
  • Adobe Flash
  • Adobe Reader
  • Adobe Air

The installer does nothing visible, then deletes itself (the .exe) and completely shuts down.
I managed to find the standalone versions of all of these (wow it's hard, they're really relying on AIR these days), and have them up to date.

However, I'm still having the exact same problem (updating attempts, etc.).  I also found a "new" problem.
I don't think it's actually new as a result of the up-to-date software, but rather I didn't encounter it until now.

When I try to start many Steam apps, I get a blank splash screen, and then the file download dialog pops up and attempts to download the html file for the splash screen.
This has happened on Alliance of Valiant Arms and America's Army.

I've attached an example of this.
Notice in the photo that the download begins in both the Firefox and the IE engines (Oddly enough, I have IE, IE64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera installed, but only IE and Firefox attempted the download).

I have completely uninstalled AIR, Flash, and Reader and reinstalled all.  I have also uninstalled Alliance of Valiant Arms and reinstalled (I thought A.V.A. was broken).
I'm at a total loss as to what is happening.

My computer:

Windows 7x64
No recent updates.

Also of note:  I have been getting an almost endless list of ATAPI error 11, though they will stop for a few hours at a time (see other attachment).
I do believe my motherboard is failing, as I also lost many of my USB ports, and my harddrives will sometimes fail to initialize (though a reboot fixes it).
My motherboard issues have been around a lot longer than this new software issue, so I'm not convinced that they are related.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.