Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarts without warning  (Read 3847 times)

Nukem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer restarts without warning
    « on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
    GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 9 Series Motherboard
    AMD FD8150FRGUBOX FX-8150 Processor - Eight Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 8MB L2 Cache, 3.60GHz (4.20GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+
    Crucial Ballistix BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S0 Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz
    Crucial CT064M4SSD2 m4 2.5" Solid State Drive - 64GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    HDD WD 1.5TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB
    ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System
    Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA
    Midi Tower Green X-Cruiser
    Diablotek DA Series 600-Watt ATX Power Supply PSDA600
    12-in-One Internal Card Reader
    Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

I recently built this computer.  But it keeps randomly restarting after Windows boots up.  It restarts more and more frequently as I use it, but it never restarts before the windows login screen.  I also notice it's likely to restart sooner if i move the mouse around a lot in the login screen.

It's not a heat issue because my processor never runs over 55C.  There are no warning beeps either, and the fans and lights never stop or flicker.  What's odd is that it works flawlessly in Safe Mode.

It's not the RAM either because Windows detects the full 8gigs.  And i restarted with each stick independently and problem remains.

I tried swapping HDDS but the issue remains regardless of the harddrive inside.  I also swapped my video card with a geforce 8400 GS thinking it might be a PSU problem, but that isn't the case either.

Live cds work, but I can't even install XP or WinServer2008.  All of my drivers are installed as well.

I'm thinking the problem might be my motherboard.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer restarts without warning
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Nukem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
      How do i run a scan?  I see two white boxes when i open that.

Btw, windows xp and xp 64bit work without problems.  But windows 7, server2008, and 8 consumer preview all reset randomly on me.

Nukem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:24 AM »
        I've read a few topics using google of people with similar problems.  They fix the situation by lowering or raising voltage in their RAM or CPU.  Can anybody guide me through this?  I'm afraid of burning something or shorting something out accidently since i've never overclocked before.

sdude4u

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
          ref: How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP
          link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

Nukem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
            I disabled automatic restart but it still restarts anyway. And this problem doesnt happen win widows xp anyway. It only happens in windows 7.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:27:22 AM »
            It's not the RAM either because Windows detects the full 8gigs.  And i restarted with each stick independently and problem remains.

Just because Windows or even the POST can detect the RAM, doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the RAM. Download Memtest86 (see link in my signature), burn it to a CD and boot from it. Let the test run for several hours (or even overnight) and complete several passes. If there are any errors at all, there's a problem with your RAM.

Live cds work, but I can't even install XP or WinServer2008.

Why can't you install them? This may be another indication of the problem. Don't leave out any details, even the smallest thing may point at exactly what the problem is.

I'm thinking the problem might be my motherboard.

As you said, Windows XP ran fine on it. This might point back at the bad RAM, being an area of RAM XP never reached because it uses significantly less memory than Windows 7.

I'd start with the memory test. It's free and will allow us to eliminate or indicate the memory as the culprit.

Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't play with the voltages.

Nukem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
              Problem solved. 

According to a TigerDirect customer support guy, my problem was a common problem for people who have a GA-990XA series motherboard AND the 8150 (bulldozer) processor combination.

All I needed to do was open my bios and switch "Core Performance Boost" to OFF, since it's ON by default.

Thanks for all your suggestions everybody!!