Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I "Over-deleted" and Killed my machine!  (Read 7739 times)

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    I "Over-deleted" and Killed my machine!
    « on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
    I have an older XP Pro system that was running slowly, probably from all of the junk I put on it. So, I got the brilliant idea to start to delete things using Revo Uninstaller. Well, after some overzealous uninstalling, it will now no longer boot. I suspect I messed with some Windows files.

I was able to boot using the Hiren's disk, but I really do not know what to do after that. Which tools should I try? Is there any way to run System Restore from that disk or another way? I do not have the original XP disks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I "Over-deleted" and Killed my machine!
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
    1) Systems do not slow down because there are too many programs installed

2) Can you boot to safe mode? If not, try system restore from a command prompt:

When the system first boots start tapping the F8 key until you get to the Advanced Startup Options Screen. Then Choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt...
    When the command prompt is displayed, type the following: [systemroot]\system32\restore\rstrui.exe (the system root folder is the folder to which you installed the XP operating system files, usually c:\windows).

Press Enter

Now you can follow the instructions on the screen to use System Restore

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
      Thanks for the quick response Allan. That is what happens when an amateur, me, is the "IT guy!" I could not even boot into safe mode, but I did not try Safe mode with Command Prompt.

I will try that tomorrow when I go to the office.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »
      If you have an XP cd you can also try a repair install

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
        If I do not have an original XP Pro disk, can I either use one from another computer that is XP Home, or is there a place to download the disk I need?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
        Yes, you may borrow one if it is the same version (Home / Pro) and Service Pack as you have installed.

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
          I have located an XP Pro sp2 disk from a different computer. I will try that as well, AFTER I copy my important files!

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »
            Today I did a repair install, and it seemed to go well. However, I ran into 1 glitch. After the install and reboot, it wants the windows activation code, but will not display the window for that. It just goes back to the screen to click on the user. I can go into safe mode, but cannot activate from there.

Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
            You can call to activate (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929), but I've never heard of a repair install requiring reactivation.

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
              Thanks again Allan. I read that if I re-install IE the activation window will work. I may try that tomorrow. I will post back about my success...hopefully!

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
              Code: [Select]
              C:\Windows\System32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
              ^ Should bring up the activation window directly.
              If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
              You can call to activate (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929), but I've never heard of a repair install requiring reactivation.

Most of the time, this never happens because OEMs mass-activate machines using master OEM product keys. If there is a problem retrieving the SLIC code/etc from the motherboard or it is nonexistant, or the product key doesn't match (because it may have been changed to the one on the side of the computer), then the computer will require reactivation.
              If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              « Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:27 AM »
              C:\Windows\System32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
              ^ Should bring up the activation window directly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in safe mode, and- if I understand the description of the problem- they aren't able to get into a usable Normal mode desktop.

Here is something that might work in safe mode to get back to normal mode.

Start-Run (Or Winkey-R or whatever you prefer)
              rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

This resets some of the Activation data, which may allow Normal mode to get to a usable desktop; run it in safe mode and give it a few moments and restart the machine. If it get's you back into normal mode, you could use the command given by Gray1989, run the shortcut in the start menu, or use the notification area icon to get to the activation wizard. The latter two seem to only exist if the Installation detects it isn't activated, the third will start the product activation wizard (directly, as stated) which will be useful when the shortcut is gone and the notification area nagger is missing.

Of course, if the first command doesn't work, there seem to be sporadic reports (as you've noted) that installing IE8 seems to help resolve this problem.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
              « Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
              If you can't figure out how to use internet explorer, etc. in normal mode, i will give you an example off the top of my head if you are actually stuck at the activation screen preventing you from logging on:

1. open one of the accessibility tools, such as narrator
              2. go to the help section, it should open up a basic (.chm) windows-style help file
              3. right-click an area where the descriptive information is kept
              4. click "view source"
              5. once inside notepad, you may open something by right-clicking it and selecting "open"

You may navigate to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" for example to bring up internet explorer
              You may navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\control.exe" to bring up control panel
              You may navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe" to bring up task manager

from task manager, you can select File > Run to use the command I gave you

I should also bring up the fact that if there is a problem with the windows registry regarding internet explorer or any associative windows/ie CLSID classes, simply reinstalling internet explorer nor a "repair" will fix your problem. This is because most of your registry stays the exact same when you repair Windows or reinstall Internet Explorer.

sweaner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »
                Thanks everyone. I finally had success today!

What I had to do was re-install IE7. (I couldn't use IE8 because of the service pack I had) I was able to install that while in safe mode, then when I re-booted the activation window could be displayed. I was able to activate without a problem at that point.