Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about Multiple Monitors  (Read 3488 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Question about Multiple Monitors
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
I have looked around the internet for answers to this and have found too much contradicting information for me to be sure about this..

Can a DVI Y splitter provide an extended desktop environment (not cloned) to two identical monitors from a single port on a computer??

Seems like a simple question, but there is too much contradiction between other forums and i want to be sure before i invest too far into any project

Also curious, does this still work if it is a HDMI to DVI adapter then plugged into the DVI splitter??
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
Re: Question about Multiple Monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
Hi

The answer is no. The same information will be on both monitors. To get  an extended desktop you would need to outputs from the video card (most modern cards and motherboards have this) or to buy a hardware box that say runs 3 or 4 monitors. which is quite expensive.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Is there some sort of software that will make the computer think of two or three displays with a VGA splitter of DVI splitter as a single monitor, with a large resolution??
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »
Is there some sort of software that will make the computer think of two or three displays with a VGA splitter of DVI splitter as a single monitor, with a large resolution??

Not quite sure what you're saying there, but I think the answer is no.

As was already stated, one output per port. A splitter will only duplicate that same signal. If you want an extended desktop, you will need to plug a cable into each port and to each of the two separate monitors. Nvidia and ATI/AMD cards will only support 2 monitors (provided they have two ports). To give you any advice on this, you'll need to tell us:

1. What is the make and model of your current video card? Or is it a built-in chipset? (if built-in, you will likely need to purchase a graphics card to use multiple displays)

2. What type of and how many output ports are present on your video card?

3. What type of input ports are present on your monitors?

4. Exactly how many monitors do you want to use? (the requirements are different whether you need only 2 screens or 3 or more screens)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:52 AM »
The graphics do seem to be the built-in chip, being an Intel 965GM.

I am currently running dual, but want to use four screens (on a laptop, and i will probably be criticized for that)

1 VGA and 1 HDMI and the built-in screen

Im hoping that i could get a HDMI to VGA adapter (they are pin-compatible, as i hear) and then get one of those USB external video cards (that is, if both VGA and HDMI ports will work simultaneously)

i have four built-in usb, that i am sure are spread out on two headers on the motherboard, then the standard networking, firewire, and thats about it.

I have both VGA and DVI inputs on my monitors, but not HDMI directly.

I plan to run four screens on final setup.