Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI-E vs PCI - Express  (Read 22945 times)

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: PCI-E vs PCI - Express
    « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
    Easy there fishboy.....

The computer has the 15 pin blue VGA connector, also the computer belongs to my girlfriends mother and i havent had a chance to go to her house to get the model number off the motherboard. NOT to mention i have a 9 - 5 job that takes up alot of my  time. Last but not least I dont appreciate your tone. I ask questions on this web-site seeking information not to be spoken too in a disrepectful manner. Sorry I am not as good as you are Mr. Know it all computer geek. Or should I say your highness.If you CANT answer the question(s) in a professional manner then maybe I dont need your help Chim Chim. There are others who can assit me without the "TUDE".  Maybe u shouldnt be assisting anyone !!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
    OK...Time out here.

I know you are seeking help on your issue...
    I also know ST is a knowledgeable helper as well...

If any tone or mis-understanding is happening here it will only slow down the process.

Please consider that all here are Volunteers giving up their time to assist...
    And also consider the queries were valid as we aren't in front of the PC with issues....

Thanx.
    patio.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
    bigal50, If that PC has a PCIe socket it likely will take a new video card using the more common variety pf PCI express.

Some vendors will allow return and exchange of video cards if they  do not work in a specific machine.  You need to check with them and see if you are willing to sell a new video card with exchange option.

The AGP card is rarely used anymore, but some bolder PCs hard them.  The term 'on-board' in jargon often means a full video card equal t in the motherboard chip-set.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
    There are others who can assit me without the "TUDE". 
    Any help you receive will be pure guesswork without the information that has been requested numerous times.

In the interest of such guesswork, I will make a few assumptions:

1. the system has no AGP connector, but uses an on-board AGP Graphics card.
    2.That on-board Adapter failed
    3. You have installed a PCI-E Video card into a PCI-E x16 slot.

The issue is that often when an On-board graphics adapter dies, it is more than just the graphics that are gone. Most on-board Graphics Adapter circuitry lies in chips that handle other low-level operations in the system as well, such as cache, memory controller, and so forth. Meaning that if the chip dies all those functions are gone as well.

However, even with that handful of assumptions, given the symptoms we don't know that the on-board graphics died, since the issue could truly be caused by a number of things. If we assume for the moment a case where you installed a graphics card to replace one that didn't appear to be working, you may have eliminated the graphics adapter as the culprit. However if it is an on-board adapter and that chip failed, than you won't be able to replace it with a graphics card because the other necessary functions will no longer be performed, making the motherboard useless.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »
    What means this?

A reference to Chim-Chim, the monkey from the Speed Racer cartoon?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
    A reference to Chim-Chim, the monkey from the Speed Racer cartoon?

Good catch...i knew but waited to see who would come up with the answer 1st...
    What was his girlfriends name ? ?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
    Whose girlfriend? Speed Racer's or the Monkey's?  ;D :D

Anyway, I believe her name was Trixie or something like that.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
    Bingo ! !

That's 2 in a row...what was his Dad's name ? ?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
    In the English dubbed version, I think he was always called Pops. I do recall that in the Japanese version, his father, brother, and (when she made her rare appearances) mother had names (not the nicknames Pops, Spritle, and Mom).

Just like Speed Racer's real name is Gō Mifune (or written correcly Mifune Gō), hence the "G" often seen on his clothing. I don't recall what the rest of their real names were though.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
    So it's not a compliment?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:45:37 AM »
    So it's not a compliment?

If he's referring to the monkey, probably not.

Spritle and his pet chimpanzee, Chim-Chim, were basically the comic relief of the Speed Racer cartoons. Often, when trying to help solve some problem for Speed Racer, the pair would only make matters worse.

And I'll say this now, Bigal50 (not sure if that's bi-gal or big al, but I'll assume the latter), we cannot help you without knowing exactly what you have, which is why you have been repeatedly asked and Salmon Trout rightly pointed this out. It's not a 'TUDE as you are trying to point out, it is simply a fact of the situation. Also, there is no "tone", there are words on the screen. The tone is in your head, not in the text.

Well this is what happened one of my computers has a on board AGP slot but the video went out.

You did originally say it was one of your computers, so we assumed you readily had access to it. Instead of not answering the question, you could have simply said the computer was elsewhere and you weren't able to get the model number right now. Without knowing what that motherboard or computer as a whole is capable of accepting, there isn't much any of us can tell you. There is no one right answer for any situation when it comes to fixing computers.

I would suggest starting over, list the make and model of the computer or list the make and model of all of the components inside the system (especially the motherboard and video card (if applicable)). Once you do that, it will give us a starting point to guide you through other steps and find out what's wrong.

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
      Ok,  Racer "X" lets start over. We must've got off on the wrong foot. My bad.

I now have the computer with the video issues in my possesion. It is an Compaq Presario SR2050NX. The motherbord has these series of numbers on it: RC410-M Rev 1.1 and this serial number Q1115033F69S112F. I looked it up online (or at least I think I found it online) and some websites says its an Asterrope???!!!. Dont know if mine is the Asterope(?!?) But it does say that the one has intergrated video as well being able to support a PCI-E X16 graphics card via one PCI - Express slot. 

I picked up a video card which is a ATI Radeon x600 series, 128 mb. It  has a number on it that reads
      MIC E-G012-05-2800(B)  2005(the year??) D33A27. I put the video card in the PCI-E slot turned on the PC  and still no video. (Q) If the mobo was bad would'nt I see some expanded capacitors...and shouldnt I consider that the RAM might bet he culprit. By the way the PC uses PC2-5300U-555 512MB 2 sticks each. Or how bout the CPU it Self ????!!!!!???? So many questions.....ARRRGGRGGRGR !!!

Thanks and remember "Melange Still Races"

Thanks for all the help !!!!

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
        .......and you are right my user name looks like it reads " bi-gal 50 " I not "Bi".........Bi-polar maybe ...???

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
          Ok,  Racer "X" lets start over. We must've got off on the wrong foot. My bad.

I now have the computer with the video issues in my possesion. It is an Compaq Presario SR2050NX. The motherbord has these series of numbers on it: RC410-M Rev 1.1 and this serial number Q1115033F69S112F. I looked it up on-line (or at least I think I found it on-line) and some websites says its an Asterrope???!!!. Don't know if mine is the Asterope(?!?) But it does say that the one has intergrated video as well being able to support a PCI-E X16 graphics card via one PCI - Express slot. 

I picked up a video card which is a ATI Radeon x600 series, 128 mb. It  has a number on it that reads
          MIC E-G012-05-2800(B)  2005(the year??) D33A27. I put the video card in the PCI-E slot turned on the PC  and still no video. (Q) If the mobo was bad wouldn't I see some expanded capacitors...and shouldn't I consider that the RAM might bet he culprit. By the way the PC uses PC2-5300U-555 512MB 2 sticks each. Or how bout the CPU it Self ?!!!!!? So many questions.....ARRRGGRGGRGR !!!

Thanks and remember "Melange Still Races"

Thanks for all the help !!!!