Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba L355D-57825 PSLEOU BSoD  (Read 3394 times)

kevincercie

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Toshiba L355D-57825 PSLEOU BSoD
    « on: April 12, 2012, 06:20:40 AM »
    My sister asked me to fix her lap top. Constant black screen, then BSoD. OK, In safe mode first thing I did - Copied her docs and mp3's onto a USB data traveler. Next I uninstalled as many newly installed programs from the list hoping it's just a driver problem. One thing I noticed she never updated using MS updates. All she had on her OS windows vista home premium 32 bit is SP1. I rebooted running vista normal. Took a look around and again, BSoD. Rebooted in safe mode, went after more junk programs and uninstalled them. Rebooted, again BSoD. OK time to say good bye to the OS and run the recovery disks that came with it. I went in the BIOS and set priority to boot up on the disk drive. Rebooted, inserted recovery Disk 1 - running, set to restore to "Out of box state"... half way through the recovery disk 1 - BSoD. OK now what I'm thinking! Run the recovery disk and repeat erasing the HDD. Done! Rebooted - ran the recovery disk 1 again to start all over, set it to out of box state. Again half way through - BSoD. Next:  OK, Time to go after memory sticks see if memory sticks are causing the problem. Two sticks came with the lap top - upper stick is 1GB & lower stick 2GB's. (3GB total) Removed sticks....replaced to lower slot the 1GB stick, kept the 2GB out. Rebooted to the disk drive and ran recovery disk 1 set to out of box state on a clean erased HDD running 1GB of memory only. As I'm typing here, I'm running recovery disk 1 It goes through building the partition, copying files.......WOW this is a first... asking to insert recovery disk 2 ....copying files - Now recoverying, please wait!   ........I'll get back to you shortly

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Toshiba L355D-57825 PSLEOU BSoD
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
    Just fyi, uninstalling programs has nothing to do with drivers. Also, without knowing the EXACT blue screen error message there's not much we can do. However, it sounds as though you've isolated the problem. Let us know if you do actually need assistance - and good luck :)

kevincercie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
      Problem solved - out of date drivers, driver conflicts and over clocked 2gb memory stick. But thanks for prompt reply. Now I know where to come next time I'm handed a "need to fix" PC.

kevincercie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
        Just fyi, uninstalling programs has nothing to do with drivers. Also, without knowing the EXACT blue screen error message there's not much we can do. However, it sounds as though you've isolated the problem. Let us know if you do actually need assistance - and good luck :)

FYI - True & false:  Through Programs and Features if the device driver is listed right click on the listed device and click Uninstall, then Yes to confirm. Sometimes, you will get a notice to restart the computer to finish uninstalling the driver. If you do, then click on Yes to restart the computer when prompted. If a generic driver for the device is included in Windows, then Windows will automatically install this generic driver for the device if the device is still connected.

Through Device Manager:  This will allow you to uninstall just the device, or both the device and device driver.
        (Recommended for advanced users)

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
        Next I uninstalled as many newly installed programs from the list hoping it's just a driver problem.
        I was responding to this statement. You did not say you uninstalled drivers, you said you unintstalled newly installed programs.

Regardless, you're up and running and that's what counts.