Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp shows c:'s contents regardless what folder i choose??  (Read 3390 times)

DARI9

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    xp shows c:'s contents regardless what folder i choose??
    « on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
    Hi evrybody!!

I have a strange problem, everytime i open explorer in my xp, and browse the folders regardless what folder i choose , the computer shows the contents under c:, when i update the screen(by pressing f5) it goes back to normal, i change folder, same ***, it shows c:'s contents until i press f5, i would be appretiative for any solutions!!!!

D9    ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: xp shows c:'s contents regardless what folder i choose??
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
    Hard to know what the problem could be.
    It might be helpful to try another file manager and see if it acts the same way. The are some free ones you could to download.
    Here is a Video.
    Free alternatives to Windows Explorer (video)

DARI9

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
      Well, i could of course try another shell,,,,but i'm that kinda guy who wants my stuff to work....and if they're not working normally i get a bit frustrated, so thank you for your reply, but it was more a solution to my problem i was looking for here.

Thanx anyways.

Regards

D9 :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
      I intended the post as a diagnostic aid. The idea is you do somersetting else to help eliminate possibilities. If another manager works, then the WE is damaged. If not, the files system may be damaged.

Please look this over. It may cover your problem
      Repair or Fix Windows Explorer.

EDIT: If sou follow the thread all the way, the moderator eventually recommends doing a 'in-place upgrade', which amounts to a repair of the OS just to fix the Windows Explorer   problem.

There are web sites that claim to have a fix, for a price.  Your risk. Backup your stuff.

DARI9

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
        I found a solution, if this problem occurs for someone else here is the answer(at least for me).

Running win-XP Pro sp3, do the following.

Go to documents and settings\''your user name''\local settings\application data, look for the files
        iconcache.db, DCBC2A71-70D8-4DAN-EHR8-E0D61DEA3FDF.index, and 2232(zerobyte-file), and delete them.
        Then do a disk repair from properties at c:\. Choose automatically fix system file errors, and run it!
        Restart!
        This helped for me, i tried to just do the diskrepair at first but nothing changed, but after deleting those files it worked, if you're not comfortable with deleting them just rename them, but i don't think they are that important for your system, since windows doesn't recreate them after reboot.

Thanx to ''Tolle'' @ overc, for the solution!!

REGARDS

D9  :D ;D :D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:42:11 AM »
        Thank you very much. That is cool!
        Wish Microsoft would have documented that. The Windows Explorer problem has been around a long time and the is the first I ever heard of fixing  it it hat way!