Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: frozen mouse pointer  (Read 4614 times)

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
frozen mouse pointer
« on: March 31, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »
I have a desktop with Win XP  Pro. This is a custom model with IDE drive 80 gb.  Recently, I went to Driver Max and found that I had 15 drivers that needed updating.  I went through about 11 with no problem and no particular change in the system.  Then I think I went to a driver that was connected to a mouse driver. Suddenly my Microsoft Intellimouse explorer 2.0 's function froze.  the pointer is setting in the middle of the screen.  I have changed batteries, syncronized , and swore all to non avail.  The pointer will change to a hand etc so I see no problem with the XP OS.  I have very limited use of the up down keys and I can't work the accessibily screen to get mouse keys. I wanted to get to system restore to see it that work, but I can't navigate the screen.  Is there a way to improve my navigation function with the keyboard or does any one have an answer to the frozen mouse? (BTW I tried to use a p/2 mouse, didn't work
drhck

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Re: frozen mouse pointer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »
Are there any system restore points from before you upgraded the drivers?
What was the name (or approximate name, if you can't really remember) of the driver that caused the mouse freezing?

To activate MouseKeys, press Left Alt+Left Shift+Numlock.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
1) NEVER use 3rd party apps for drivers.

2) Drivers should only be updated if there is a specific need or reason to do so. There is no such thing as a driver that needs to be updated simply because there are newer drivers.

3) Drivers should only be obtained from OEM websites and, in the case of laptops, from the computer manufacturer.

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
Good advice, but a bit too late.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »
See if you can get to system restore from safe mode. If not, try it from a command prompt:

Here are the instructions for starting System Restore from the command prompt:

When the system first boots start tapping the F8 key until you get to the Advanced Startup Options Screen. Then Choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt...
When the command prompt is displayed, type the following: [systemroot]\system32\restore\rstrui.exe (the system root folder is the folder to which you installed the XP operating system files, usually c:\windows).

Press Enter

Now you can follow the instructions on the screen to use System Restore

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:38:40 PM »
Having the mouse keys function allows me more felixability so I went to device manager and found no: MOUSE, there was keyboards modems etc but no mouse. What ever happened, the mouse is not in device manager.  Thoughts on restoring this?  Also, I went to sysem restore and found it would only allow April restoration. I tried it and no luck.  The mouse froze in March. I think there is hope if I can get the mouse into device manager.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:19 AM »
Have you tried a different mouse?

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
I tried a wireless mouse with the adaptor...no luck.  It is the mouse that I use on this computer. I tried an old Ps/2 mouse...no luck.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
I guess you can try a repair install - can't hurt:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
Seemed to do nothing.  It would not install updates on a SQL thing.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand your post.

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
There is no driver for the mouse. There is no function (working) mouse keys now. The windows xp sp3 disk did manage to start windows normally but no function mouse or mouse keys.