Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maximum graphics.  (Read 2266 times)

davelectronic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Electronic's / PC IT Tech / HF Radio comms.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Maximum graphics.
    « on: April 14, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
    Hi there.
                   Ive looked in to this and still struggling with an answer, my pc in question is an RM SFF 2.4 GHz celeron, 1.5 GB Ram and 32 MB of on board graphics. Wanting an on board graphics card to improve performance.

My question is although i understand AGP Aperture limit in bios, which is 32 MB is there a limit to graphics memory i can use, say could i use 64 MB or 128 MB or even 256 MB or is there a physical limit to and extended graphics card size, i really would appreciate the help, thanks in advance if any one can help me with this question.

Dave.  :)
    Dave.

Experience modest level.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    Re: Maximum graphics.
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
    That memory limit in BIOS only applies to the onboard graphics. If you get an actual graphics card, then that limit does not apply. I'm not really sure I fully understand your question though.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

davelectronic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
      Thanks for your reply, my question was what is the graphics memory limit on an extended card, i know the bios aperture for graphics controls amount of system memory accessed for graphics use, i was looking to find out if a 64 MB or 128 MB card could be used as an extended upgrade to the graphics of this older machine, it don't need to break no records its only for the kids and normal internet use.

The on board graphics being 32 MB is a bit sluggish, 128 MB would do fine if it was possible, the interface is AGP X4 small form factor the OS is Windows XP professional 32 Bit the mobo is a Winbond with a 478 socket, not sure if this better describes my question.

Many Thanks.

Dave.

Experience modest level.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
      AGP Aperture size dictates only the size of the memory block reserved for transferring data from System Memory to the AGP card's video memory.

A Separate graphics card can have any amount of on-board memory. This is not limited by the motherboard or any CMOS settings.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

davelectronic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
        Thanks for your help, now ive got another issue, odd form factor RM pc 160 watt atx psu, i cant find much above that power limit that will fit.

Ive found an RM Ascend atx psu 250 watts but not sure if it will fit my case, sizes in mm are the same in the sellers add, so ive got an AGP X4 spare slot and been trying to find some power requirements on 128 MB graphics cards, as standard the machine came with the mobo and psu combo, i would think it could support 64 MB graphics card, maybe, but unsure of 128 MB graphics card.   :)

Thanks again for replies.

Dave.

Experience modest level.