Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Triple boot system  (Read 3720 times)

porky442

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Triple boot system
    « on: April 12, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
    Hi I am new here and hope to get some help. I purchased a dell laptop with a triple boot set up and thought it was cool, soon to find out it was not what I wanted. It has XP, Vista, and Windows 7. The main drive used is Vista because when we got it 7 was in Beta and we were unsure of it. I now would like to make the harddrive whole again meaning just one drive on the harddrive. I installed 7 home premium and it installed over the Vista partition but did nothing to the XP or the 7 Ultimate (beta)partition. What do I have to do to make it just 7 Home Premium. I looked at the "custom" when installing but it showed all 3 partitions but only seemed to allow me to pick one to install to. How can I reformat the harddrive to accomplish this?? Please put the answer in easy to follow format as this is a new area for me to get into. Thanks!!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Triple boot system
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

To make this simple and pain free, allow me to make an observation. Un less you hard drive is very small, or you have a special need, there is little reason to use just on large partition. IMHO the decision point is around 80 GB. If the drive is over 80 GB you can divide it into two partitions.   Over 160 GB maybe three partition.s At least one partition has to be a primary to hold the boot loader.

In both Vista and Windows 7 you can adjust the size of a partition. But with some limitations. Some free partitions managers allow you to delete, create and size partitions. At least one allows merging two partitions with no data loss. I have not tested this and would be reluctant to recommend it.

Do you have a way of doing a backup of your personal files? Changing partition size can led to a lose of data in some cases. Not very often.

Deleting a partition could make your system unable to boot. The boot loader has to be on one of the partitions. It is not always clear which is the active partition.

My recommendation is to backup anything very important, like family photos and business letters. Afterwards  use a partition manager to reside the partitions to make best use of your hard drive.

Forgot to mention, Windows 7 has tools to let you data on another partition yet still have the file system you like. What i mean is that a folder on one drive can really be a reverence to another drive.

Typical of this is moving MyDocuments to another location,even another partition or even another drive. I strongly recommend this.  It makes it unnecessary nto merge partitions. I believe having separate partitions used this way gives a better level of reliability.

The link below is from Microsoft.
    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

Is this any help?  Please respond if you have questions about this recommendation or anything else.

porky442

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:38:46 AM »
      Thanks for the advise, and fast reply. I am happy with 7 and like it's features. I would not mind splitting the drive and using half or better as a storage drive but can't see the need to have 3 seperate systems per say. Will it be possible to do this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
      Sure, you can delete the systems you do not want. And remove them from the start up boot menu. My personal preference would be to keep Windows 7 and Windows XP. But reduce  XP on a very small partition.

Make sure you have a repair disk for Windows 7. In the event that you rub out the boot partition, the boot loader will  not be found by the BIOS.

A third-party partition toll will identify the actual boot partition.
      This is one I have used:
      http://www.easeus.com
      look for Partition Management Software and find the FREE version. It can run  inside windows if other programs are not writing to the hard drive.

This may be new to you. I recommend that you do not delete partitions, just reduce the size. As mentioned earlier, Windows itself has tools to let you use partitions as folders. So the partition is not wasted.  But this is mostly my opinion.
      If you delete the wrong partition, you may be able to un-do the operation while still in the partition manager, but not after you  exit.

porky442

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »
        Thanks again, I am going to try when I have some time to be alone and frustrated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
        Thanks again, I am going to try when I have some time to be alone and frustrated.
        Good. If you are alone an not frustrated, come back here -
        and I will do by best to change that.   ;D