Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 2694 times)

nicthelaxer

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HELP!!!!
    « on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
    Hello all!

I am having serious trouble with our network at work. Let me start by explaining what happened:

We originally had DSL through Qwest/Century Link. The set up was a Qwest router, connected to a 16port switch, by an ethernet. That 16port switch ran to each of our computers. The internet was working fine, we just wanted to increase the speed so we decided to order Comcast. Comcast came out this past Friday. They installed a coax cable to a SMC 8016 Gateway, then from there we ran an ethernet cord directly from the gateway to the switch. The internet was not checked for full functionality at all at this point. Yesterday, I cam into work and noticed major issues.

1. Google and yahoo are the only two pages pulling up on IE8 and Chrome. I have double and triple checked all of the settings on the browsers themselves, and there is nothing preventing pages from that stand point.

2. We still have our email and our remote desktop working (we log onto a server at our corporate office). There is no issue there.

3. This morning I added a router, Linksys E2500, between the gateway and switch. So now the configuration is Gateway, Router, then Switch. This still did not help.

4. I have tried pinging and 0 packets are returned for all websites tested that aren't google or yahoo. There were a couple minutes, that we got Monster.com to pull up but when we clicked on a link on the main page, nothing came up!

I was on the phone with Comcast for 2 hours today trying to figure out what was going on. They have their firewall disabled for me. We tried disabling their NATing and using our routers NATing, and that did not work. We tried disabling the DHCP server on our router, and enabling it on theirs and vis versa, and that did not work. I added the static IP that we are assigned for Comcast, to the router with the coinciding DNS and gateway's and that didn't work.

At this point I am at a complete loss! I am thinking it has something to do with the switch but I am not 100% on that. I HAVE tried hard wiring myself into the router, and that seemed to have work for all of 20 minutes then the same things of 99% of websites not pulling up and websites not letting you select the link happened.

Does anybody have ANY IDEA what the heck is going on or how to fix it?!??

We do all have Windows 7 machines. Our Router is a Linksys E2500, our gateway from Comcast is a SMC 8016 and our Switch is a D-Link DSS-16+

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HELP!!!!
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »
    Not sure I can help with the Comcast problem.  Re: Century Link, have you canceled your account with them?  I use Century Link for telephone and DSL.  During a phone call to them on 2/15/12 to inquire about the cost of Internet only, i.e. discontinuing voice phone service, the cost of Internet only was unacceptably high so I did not proceed with that change to my Century Link account.  But, during the conversation, the Century Link rep said they could increase my DSL speed from 3Mbps to 10 Mbps at no additional charge.  That change was implemented the very next day.  Just thought I'm mention this in case you run into a brick wall with Comcast and, therefore, might want to reconsider Century Link. 

carlos1001

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
      Are all the lights on the modem? Have you tried using different ethernet or network cables? have you tried connecting the computers one at a time to the modem? Or a different coax cable to the modem?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »
      First... breathe!

I'm not sure why you added the router.  Increasing the network's complexity will never make it easier to resolve issues.

Anyway, a systematic approach is your best bet.  It sounds like a DNS resolution issue, but first let's see if your routing is working correctly.

From one of the machines that can connect to Google, fire up a command prompt and enter:

Code: [Select]
      tracert www.google.com
      Cut and paste the results here.  If it simply times out, paste the results of the following command:

Code: [Select]
      nslookup www.google.com
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos