Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My System Volume Information file & Pagefile.sys add up to 24g How can I delete?  (Read 4705 times)

Zealey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I ran TreeSize Free file analyser and cleaned up my hard drive. I then ran Disk Clean up and Defragmented my C:drive. My free space got a lot WORSE. My System Volume Information file is now  twelve g (across two files like this: {c090b898-86e1-11e1-9c49-0019b987fda5}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}. And my Pagefile.sys is now 3g.
    BOTH files say 'Access Denied'. I am administrator, I've made the files 'unhidden' I've gone to 'Properties' and tried to change permissions using security tab, but all to no avail.
    How can I reduce these files or even delete. They weren't always this big so everything in them can't be critical?
    Any advice really appreciated as this is really bugging me.
    Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    1) What OS are you using?

2) To delete all but the most current System Restore Point, use the "More Options" tab in Disc Cleanup.

3) To change the size of your pagefile go to Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced

Zealey

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for taking time to reply. I'm using Windows Vista Business. I'll try what you suggested now, but the SystemVolInfo and Pagefile.sys ballooned AFTER I ran disk cleanup and defrag last night...

Zealey

Topic Starter

Rookie

Also when I go to ControlPanel-System-Advanced System Settings I get the same popup: Big Red X and  'The service cannot accept control messages at this time'.
        What am I doing wrong? Man is being beaten by machine ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
        Are you logged on as administrator? Try rebooting.

Zealey

Topic Starter

Rookie

:) Well done. You are a certified Genuis. Thanks. Yes, both worked when I elevated to Admin. Problems now solved.
          Best wishes,

Zealey

Allan

• Mastermind
          No problem - I specialize in the easy ones ;)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Allan da man....
          We love success stories here... ;D
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "