Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Error Message  (Read 2721 times)

Libby Brown

Windows Error Message
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:16:05 PM »
I've been having a lot of trouble with my notebook.  I think I have a virus of some sort.  I have Windows XP.  I started getting a blue screen that says Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage.  A friend of mine suggested I use my Windows start up CD to reinstall Windows.  I did that and it worked!  I could access my computer programs and files.  I used it a few times before I got the error message again.  I repeated what I had done before and it worked the second time.  Again, it worked a few times, and now I am getting the error message again.  However, when I try to reinstall Windows, it says there are three partitions, and if I format, I will loose the files that are on my computer.  Is there any way to recover my computer without losing saved information?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows Error Message
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »
    Libby Brown.....Have you run your anti virus program......?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:12:34 PM »
    Virus scanners
    AVG Free
    -- Anti virus scanner
    Trend Micro Housecall
    -- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
    Microsoft Antispyware
    -- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    -- Anti spyware scanner
    Adaware SE Personal
    -- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
    Use both a hardware and software firewall.
    Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
    -- Free firewall - more user friendly
    Sygate Personal
    -- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
    The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
    They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
    -- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
    McAfee Stinger
    -- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
    CWshredder
    -- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 07:09:49 PM »
    Libby:

Does the stop error display give a stop error code that begins with a 0x and ends with eight letters and/or numbers?  If so, write it down and leave a reply so we may look it up and tell you what the cause of the problem likely is.

Regards,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 07:10:28 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 01:10:55 AM »
    See if re-seating the RAM module(s) helps at all.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:46:58 PM »
    Looks like another post-n-run.

:'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 10:54:16 PM »
    I guess that computer really was broken !  :o

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 02:43:18 AM »
    "Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage"

First time I ever saw that error message was when I mixed two types of RAM, and most times I find that it relates to RAM or data corruption.

Simply re-seating the RAM often makes the difference.

Good post just yesterday, where a poorly performing computer was immediately improved by re-seating the old module adding more RAM and changing the flat 40 wire IDE cables for 80 wire, cross-talk-screened, cables.

So what other things can be done to improve basic performance? (Not so much the processing speed but the general capability of the machine, without changing the mainboard and processor.)

A faster drive with a bigger drive buffer is one. The higher speed increases paging file performance and the bigger drive buffer can increase the speed of defrag four-fold (very noticeable with Windows ME) simply by changing from a drive with a 2 MB buffer to one with an 8 MB buffer.

I would love to see the change in defrag speed between a drive with a 2 MB buffer and one with a 16 MB buffer!

TweakUI can speed up menu opening times and response to the mouse pointer and setting the right screen refresh rate makes a perceptible difference too.

Anything which says System Works and has a lot of gadgetry starting up when Windows starts certainly does slow things down in my experience, and are better avoided.

I've re-installed System Works or Utility programs on many occasions so that NOT everything started up with Windows, just those parts of the program which are essential.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
    I guess that computer really was broken !  :o

:D  LOL!