Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Driver help needed (win 98)  (Read 32861 times)

zanet

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB Driver help needed (win 98)
    « Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
    Unless your connection is dial-up, however, it's useless. I would just remove it in your situation. The connection is not the same; ethernet connectors look similar to standard phone connectors, especially in a picture, but they are a bit fatter and not compatible at all.

Having looked at the card and connectors again, I'd say they look identical to phone connectors. I wasn't sure at first because I had a look at some pics of ethernet cards and they looked similar to what I have. I'm still a little confused though because if device manager says the modem and its drivers are working, why is the same modem showing up as an unknown device in a different section? Also, should I uninstall the software before the card is removed or does that not make a difference?

The Sound card I'm not so sure about, again, according to the aforementioned specifications the system includes a sound chip. Are there connections on the rear of that card that lead you to conclude that it is the sound card? If your speakers connect to it, then it is. It could be an extra sound card, too. if nothing is connected to it, It's not necessary.

Yes, there are round connectors with different colors at the back. Ideally I'd like to get a couple of upgrades for this old pc, so it's compatible with wireless routers. The tech guy at my ISP told me the pc needed an ethernet card and something about being wireless or wifi enabled but he was somewhat of a tech snob and wasn't very specific. Apart from the card do you know what else I'd need for a wireless router? Would I need to go hunting around for old cards since because of the old motherboard?

I was thinking of having the usb connectors changed to 2.0 ones. Can that little usb "cube" be removed from the motherboard and upgraded or would I need a new mobo? I was under the assumption that old hardware only works with other old hardware (especially 10 year old motherboards).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
    Having looked at the card and connectors again, I'd say they look identical to phone connectors. I wasn't sure at first because I had a look at some pics of ethernet cards and they looked similar to what I have. I'm still a little confused though because if device manager says the modem and its drivers are working, why is the same modem showing up as an unknown device in a different section? Also, should I uninstall the software before the card is removed or does that not make a difference?
    Sometimes they show up as multiple devices to support modem features. For example, some modems will show up as a sound device; Many video cards appear as a sound card as well because of their HDMI capabilities. Some later modems included driver software that was designed to allow the modem to be used directly as a network device directly. For Dial-Up, for example, typically what happens is you would run a separate program to connect; that program would establish a connection and keep it alive. After that, the software would activate a second driver so the system could see a "network card". The network card doesn't actually exist and is entirely software that mimics a network card to provide network connectivity through the modem, but in this way network-using applications don't need to care how the machine is connected to the internet. Usually that driver is only enabled or made active when you run the appropriate application to "enable" it, at least as far as I recall. Otherwise, it is either invisible, disabled, or appears "broken".

As for software/driver removal, I usually never bother to remove the software for a device before removing it, though it doesn't matter either way. The way windows works when it starts up is it basically looks at all the devices and looks for installed drivers for them. If one removes a device, windows won't really care since it simply no longer looks for the driver to initialize. It's usually a good practice to remove them however unless you plan to use the device again.

Ideally I'd like to get a couple of upgrades for this old pc, so it's compatible with wireless routers. The tech guy at my ISP told me the pc needed an ethernet card and something about being wireless or wifi enabled but he was somewhat of a tech snob and wasn't very specific. Apart from the card do you know what else I'd need for a wireless router? Would I need to go hunting around for old cards since because of the old motherboard?
    A wired ethernet card would not be directly helpful for wireless connectivity. What you would need instead is a wireless card, in the form of a wifi(802.11g/n) card. You can also find wireless adapters in the form of USB sticks, but given your other problems with USB it might be best to avoid those (and they are more expensive anyway).

I was thinking of having the usb connectors changed to 2.0 ones. Can that little usb "cube" be removed from the motherboard and upgraded or would I need a new mobo? I was under the assumption that old hardware only works with other old hardware (especially 10 year old motherboards).

You cannot replace the on-board USB connectivity with a newer one, but you can add a new Root hub in the form of an adapter card such as this one. I have two  cards like this that I've used in a few older machines, the first one I installed one into was a machine that was originally sold in 1998-1999, and it worked fine. This one is particularly odd since it has a connector that is inside the case, too.

The little connector box that sticks out of the motherboard is really only the connectors. The actual logic that deals with the USB connectivity is part of the motherboard chipset, and so cannot be removed or replaced. One can instead just add a completely new USB Root Hub; one of these cards adds a second USB Root hub that is an "Enhanced" controller, which is the term used to describe USB 2.0 root hubs. I've not had to use it with anything earlier than XP, which was able to automatically detect and install them without any additional software.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zanet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
      Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try 2000 and see how it goes. Does 2000 need a boot disc? I don't know if you can create a boot disk without the OS already being installed.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
      Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try 2000 and see how it goes. Does 2000 need a boot disc? I don't know if you can create a boot disk without the OS already being installed.
      The windows 2000 disc is bootable.

zanet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
        Thanks for that. I had it in my head that I needed a 2000 boot disk because I was going to reformat but forgot the small detail of it still having 98se, which I have the boot disk for. Unfortunately, I didn't even get that far because as soon as I removed the network / modem card from the PC it wouldn't start. I could tell the power was on by the little red pilot light inside the tower but the PC just wouldn't turn on. No sounds of any kind. Nothing.

I decided to plug the card back in and it magically worked again. So, I reinstalled the modem drivers it was asking for, turned it off and went out. When I got back and tried turning it on it was dead again. The pilot light was still on but apart from that, nada. The only thing I noticed was that the little light next to the "start" button in the front of the tower (which stays green when the PC is on) flickered once when I tried but that was it.

Now, what do think happened here? I don't recall touching any wires connected to the cards. I had to carefully move a ton of string tied cables / wires from the top fan box (ac unit?) that weren't hooked up to anything, so I could get a better grip of the card but that was it. I tried checking some of the wires and connectors to see if I had accidentally loosened something but it seems okay (unless I loosened or unplugged something closer to the rom drive which is hard to get to, let alone see). Am I just unlucky and had this thing suddenly die on me? I really don't get this. I've gone from a fully working PC with some USB issues to a dead one.

Since I have the side open can you tell me what I should look for connector-wise that might have caused this? It seems somewhat bizarre that it would just die. I made sure the power was turned off at the mains / wall each time before I tried anything.

Since I had the card out I thought I'd see if I could find out the FCC ID number but it only has the REG number (I was told there should be two sets, REG and ID, the latter being the important one). I noticed the card had an Intel chip on it. Do all cards have those? Here are the details (including other numbers I found on the card):

"FCC REG NO 5RJ TAI-36260-M5E"

Other numbers on the card: "LOO98H195819 L1H", "AC REN S/N 0.6B", "20111-082 60674", "AMI-2019E", "P9009 021"and "CPCMOP9009-02".

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:54 AM »
        You might have loosened the power connector going to the motherboard.

zanet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
          Could you describe what that looks like (color, thin / thick wire) and where it's located? Better yet, if you have a pic you could show me that would be great.