Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD, New Video Card  (Read 7237 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
BSOD, New Video Card
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
Computer Specs
Radeon HD 7750 < New
MSI 870A-G54 Mother board
Corsair GS600 power supply
16 GB RAM
AMD Phenom II x4 840
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual monitors

The Problem
Okay! I am back with a new video card, I installed it yesterday. Uninstalled old drivers, installed new ones right away. Played games all yesterday no problem, but today while browsing the web, several things happened right in a row.

Both screens went black, then main screen mouse appeared for a moment. I could move the mouse but the rest of the screen was totally black. This went on for about 10-15 seconds. Then the mouse disappeared, and both the screens said *No Signal*. Then the main screen flickered, and for a moment I could see the BIOS screen, but then the monitor went black again.

The BIOS appeared on both my monitors (this normally happens) but when it got to the point where it says *Press [ESC] to boot...(#)* I pressed escape, and the system froze. My secondary monitor began displaying *no signal* while the main was full black again. Then the BSOD appeared. Both monitors had a great time flickering off and on, about 3-4 times in sync.

Then the computer started normally.

The BSOD File

I ran BlueScreenView and here is what I got :

==================================================
Dump File         : 041312-34257-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 4/13/2012 5:25:33 PM
Bug Check String  :
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
Parameter 1       : fffffa80`091681e0
Parameter 2       : fffff880`02c9e9e0
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`0000000d
Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5d000
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+80640
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\041312-34257-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 307,000

I am kind of hoping that if I got a bad video card, I can return it, but I have been having problems for a while, and I think the Motherboard is the next replacement if I can still not find out what is wrong. Thank you for any and all help.

truenorth

Guru

Re: BSOD, New Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »
    This issue appears to be associated with Microsoft's "Directx" software Here is a CH article on the software.
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=dxgkrnl.sys
    Here is a link that relates to the type of issues that you are having due to the problem with the error you are having.
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dxgkrnl-sys-bsod-416718.html
    Please check it out and try the proposed remedy then return and inform us of the result. good luck,truenorth

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
    Just to clarify...In the instructions posted, I am told NOT to check the driver files under Microsoft when setting up the verifier...but since this is a Microsoft driver, should I still follow that instruction?

Ran verifier, and executed the verifier/query command, but the dxgkrnl.sys file was not listed. All drivers shown were listed under Verified Drivers in the command prompt.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
    Today it crashed again, while I was typing in Word. Display flicker, music stuttered, blue screen, then shut-down. New information below.

The dxgkrnl.sys file is still not listed in the Command list when I enter verifier /query, though many other drivers are. Thank you.

Dump File         : 041512-37814-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 4/15/2012 8:26:27 AM
    Bug Check String  :
    Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
    Parameter 1       : fffffa80`07b11010
    Parameter 2       : fffff880`04298ae4
    Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
    Parameter 4       : 00000000`0000000d
    Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
    Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5d000
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Processor         : x64
    Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+80640
    Stack Address 1   :
    Stack Address 2   :
    Stack Address 3   :
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\041512-37814-01.dmp
    Processors Count  : 4
    Major Version     : 15
    Minor Version     : 7601
    Dump File Size    : 317,456

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
    Just for clarification, I have had this error and another for a while and it was determined replacing the video card might fix it. Here is the original CH thread for my problem with the old video card.

I have tried all the fixes listed there to no avail.

In the link given by truenorth, the OP is told to re-install Windows, but that has already been done on my system, when I had the same issue with my old video card. It seemed like this was a hardware issue before which is why I replaced the video card. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing DirectX, but that has also not helped.

Is re-installing windows the next step? Should I replace my motherboard? The Verifier program seems to only monitor my system, but it never lists dxgkrnl.sys in the list. I am lost as to what to do next, and the issue seems to be getting worse. Thank you.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
    I have tried all the fixes listed there to no avail.
    In the link given by truenorth, the OP is told to re-install Windows, but that has already been done on my system, when I had the same issue with my old video card.
    Is re-installing windows the next step? Should I replace my motherboard?
    ...Sad to hear that the problem is back again, with the renewed fury of a thousand suns ;) :-\
    Both screens went black, then main screen mouse appeared for a moment........

The BIOS appeared on both my monitors (this normally happens) but when it got to the point where it says *Press [ESC] to boot...(#)* I pressed escape, and the system froze. My secondary monitor began displaying *no signal* while the main was full black again. Then the BSOD appeared. Both monitors had a great time flickering off and on, about 3-4 times in sync.
    Then the computer started normally.
    The flickering happened when the computer was POSTing. It probably isn't a Windows problem. Then it attempted to boot into Windows, and whatever hardware fault was present caused a BSOD.

Try running a live CD of Ubuntu and do some websurfing/word processing like you normally would on Windows, if the computer crashes, put your HD 5670 back in, test again, if it crashes once more, we can safely conclude its your motherboard, since in the previous thread we have already eliminated the RAM. HDD errors do not show up in this form. We have already ran IntelBurnTest on the CPU. The problem has occured even before you upgraded to your Corsair PSU.

If it does not crash, boot back into windows and disable Windows Aero...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »
    Thanks, I will try your solution and post back as soon as I know something.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
    Did not crash in Ubuntu, but the screen did flicker madly at several points. I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu, but I do like it. I could not get both screens to display, only the main one, but this may be my unfamiliarity with the system. Placed in the 5670 and same result. And yes, I checked to make sure my cords were properly attached.

After booting back into Windows, I disabled Aero anyways, and it does not crash now, but the screen will flicker (like it did in Ubuntu) and show a message of *Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.* The sound also stutters when this happens.

If I am web browsing or watching videos, the video screen will turn green and I have to close and reopen the program.
    If I am gaming at the time, the game crashes.
    Sometimes the sound stutters and continues after the program crashes, and I have to use TaskManager to end the process.

If I run using only one monitor in Windows, it doesn't crash. That is my current workaround.

Every time I try something new I only get more confused, haha.

Thank you for your help.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
    Good to know that it didn't crash in Ubuntu and in Windows with 1 monitor enabled, and that both cards are still working.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/08/ubuntu-tips-how-to-setup-dual-monitor/ 
    Setup both of your monitors in Ubuntu and see if it crashes.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 05:53:08 AM »
    I had managed to find that screen, however it only detects one of my monitors, regardless of which video card is installed. Is there a device manager or some sort of equivilent ?

The window I have has a "detect screens" button but it is greyed out.

My main is an acer, and my secondary is a generic type, it is old so the type has been obscured. It will display on either one if the other is unplugged but when they are both plugged in it only displays on the acer.

I tried having both monitors plugged in at start- up and having only one plugged in, but it will display only on the acer if both are plugged in. If I start off with only the generic plugged it, Ubuntu will not detect the acer.

I downloaded an older build ( I was trying the newest build, 11.10 I think) and the dual screens display and work fine. The screens still flicker however.

Thank you again. 

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
    Yep the latest build is 11.10 LTS.
    They didn't crash (although they flickered) with two monitors enabled in Ubuntu... :||x

This problem is sure a tough nut to crack... It seems like it isn't a hardware problem, more like a driver problem once again...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642390 
    Download this first: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ and also the latest drivers.

Step one: Reboot into safe mode.
    Run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D, check the option for "ATi drivers" and click "Analyse", whatever it finds make sure they're all checked and hit "Clean". Then reboot as prompted.

Step two:
    Reboot back into safe mode and get into Device Manager.

Select Display Adapters from the right hand pane. It should read the graphics card installed right click it and choose uninstall.
    Now at this point a box should pop up with a check box, prompting, "Would you like to completely remove the driver"; check the box and hit OK. Now there should be no items under "Display Adapters".
    Now right click on anything listed in the right hand pane and select "Scan for new hardware changes"; Win7 will now re-detect your GPU and it will now show as "Standard VGA adapter" instead of saying HD 5670/7750.

Step three: Close out of Device mangler and install the newest Catalyst drivers that you have downloaded. After the install finishes reboot your rig as prompted and this time boot normally. That's it there should be no more "Display driver has stopped responding" errors in Win7 x64.

Another thought: Your Northbridge may be under stress trying to handle communications between the CPU, the RAM, and the Southbridge. Get into your BIOS and bump your NB voltage from the stock 1.18V to 1.28V and see if the problem still occurs.
    If it still doesn't behave normally, it's time to replace your motherboard.  :-\

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
    Well, I thought that had worked, but no. Flickering still persists and it still gives me the message of Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. It seems like I need to really strain to make it do this though, while before it had worked up to crashing almost every half hour. (I had a game and youtube playing...I tend to multitask).

Upped the voltage but still the same.

I will be ordering a new motherboard. I will also be making the switch to Ubuntu. Hopefully those two changes together will resolve this issue. ^.^ Worries me because the issue does not occur when using only a single screen. Is dual monitor display really that different from a single monitor?

Could the game I am playing be causing this? I had a problem a few months ago where Skyrim would crash,and I ended up having to disable antialising to play the game properly. I tend to play games on one screen and browse the web, or watch YouTube on the other monitor. This is when all of the crashes occur. Although that is also most of what I do on my computer.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »
    Thank you so much for all of your help.
    You're welcome, as always, it's a pleasure to help others :)

Do note that one of the major caveats of Linux is support for games. However this is changing too, with their "WineHQ" Windows emulator you can run some of the more popular titles http://appdb.winehq.org/, which include Skyrim, Far Cry 2, and WoW, just like you would on Windows.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=category&iId=2&sAction=view&sTitle=Browse+Applications
    Game compatibility list.

Dual monitor shouldn't be that taxing, even my laptop integrated Intel HD graphics does well enough for 3D apps on one screen and web browsing on the other...
    Since both the HD 7750 and 5670 draw all their power through the motherboard PCIe port it is possible that there is something wrong with your power circuitry on your motherboard.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
    One of the games I play the most is not supported unfortunately (Vindictus) and so that has me hesitating. I know I can always use some sort of nested (Not sure if that is the term) os, like VMware. But I have heard that this can cause lag.

Most of my other games are on Steam and there are multiple reports that soon Steam will be available on Linux.

Thanks again, you are quite knowledgeable ^.^