Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop screen almost black.... hooked up external monitor.  (Read 5386 times)

Stevie

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop screen almost black.... hooked up external monitor.
    « on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
    Toshiba
    Satellite L675D-S7052
    OAS Windows 7

awhile back laptop screen went black. i just dont have the money to bring it to local Comp tech. So i have been searching for a few days in the forums. I can see the log in screen just barely not enought to do anything (such as Back up my comuter as the owner manual recommends)
    So i hooked up and external monitor through the RGB (monitor port) that was good for a bit. now laptop is the same (without the option to use fn F# keys) BUT the monitor is in Power save mode and i am at a lose for what to do? not being able to manuver the mouse. Ive tried many many times to... take out battery, un plug AC, hold power down for 30 secs, Fn f2, try from there to boot in safe mode. Fn f8  Fn f10. anything i have trouble shot ive followed close instructions and done many times.  Hoping to at least be able to fix this myself.  Thank so much i look forward to hearing u from you!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop screen almost black.... hooked up external monitor.
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
    I can see the log in screen just barely not enought to do anything (such as Back up my comuter as the owner manual recommends)

Makes me think that the backlight is burned out.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Stevie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
      ok thats what i was kinding leaning towards after all the trouble shotting i did in the forum. Now im going to ask something kinda stupid probably... but is there a difference between an inverter and back light? i ask because in searching for a part to order i have come across a part that is called LCD backlight inverter. guess i was thinking they were 2 different parts. I am thinking i am comfortable with taking my daughters laptop apart and attempting to install part.  Just want to order the right one.

Stevie

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
        By the way thank you for replying. This is a fablous way to help so many and i appreciate any help and all the work you all put into this.

I was thinking about what i said... Would it be a better idea to take apart and look before ordering?  I'm hestitating only because i have cats, dogs and kids. lol just want to keep it safe. i could possibly set it up in basement on table til the part came in. Do you have any suggestions or advice before i attempt this? i have looked at steps in taking apart a laptop and im really good at step by step instructions on putting things together. so thought maybe i could this as well. but not sure if its ok to leave it set up or any special tips anyone would have. Thanks again!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
          • Programming Blog
        « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
        i could possibly set it up in basement on table til the part came in. Do you have any suggestions or advice before i attempt this? i have looked at steps in taking apart a laptop and im really good at step by step instructions on putting things together. so thought maybe i could this as well. but not sure if its ok to leave it set up or any special tips anyone would have.

Not other than making sure you are grounded. If you're in a basement, you can just touch a pipe.
        YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
          It seems to me that your limitation of the time access to your external monitor may be able to be altered from power saving mode. If you shut down the computer and then restart with the external plugged in does enough time exist to go into the power settings in control panel to disable power saving. If so this will at least get your use of the laptop back until you replace whatever is needed.truenorth

10twenty

Rookie

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »
          Do you have any suggestions or advice before i attempt this? i have looked at steps in taking apart a laptop and im really good at step by step instructions on putting things together. so thought maybe i could this as well. but not sure if its ok to leave it set up or any special tips anyone would have. Thanks again!

In my experience LCD display technology is amazing. But also extremely fragile. if you break a connection, especially the cable going to the display glass/panel you'll be SOL. the wires in that display are so fine they're invisible. I recommend taking extreme care with the cables running to and connecting to the monitor, as well as any circuitry, none of it was intended to be load-bearing, one wrong move and it could snap, crack, rip or otherwise result in irreparable damage.

Being grounded is important too, when working with any kind of electronic make sure you're grounded.
          Likewise, make sure the device is fully discharged before proceeding, even though most laptop displays don't have big power caps in the circuitry you can still get a bad shock from a capacitor, as well as fry something. Turn off, unplug, remove battery, press the power button to release any stored energy, ground yourself, then begin work.

laptops tend to have many tiny screws and stuff. I recommend painting the threads with a bit of wax marker to make sure when you re-assemble, all the screws goes in the right holes. you can color code by length. Some of the screws are hidden under rubber feet, others are screws hidden behind parts you need to remove the screws for first. if a part isn't coming off, don't force it!

typically with most laptops you'll be dealing with a CCD-type back light. CCD technology is much like a florescent tube. it has a ballast/driver circuit that like in FL tube lamps, can go bad. if the driver is bad you'll need to fix that too. same for the CCD tube, like a FL tube lamp the ends will become blackish when they're burned out. unlike FL tubes these CCD tubes are amazingly bendy. But they're made of glass. They do contain mercury, so don't break them.

You may need a tweezers/forceps, there's so many small parts that people with big stubby fingers have alot of trouble gripping anything.

sometimes the CCD/Driver assembly is fubar, you may need to admit defeat when that happens. you can look into an LED backlight alternative (but will need to work out the power supply issue) or just buy a new laptop. usually repairs like this by a pro costs more than it is to buy a new laptop.