Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps restarting right after booting up  (Read 8143 times)

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer keeps restarting right after booting up
    « on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
    My computer keeps restarting just a few seconds after booting up. It only starts in Safe Mode. I was able to turn off Auto Reboot so I could read the blue error screen. Here is the full text:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you´ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to be sure t hat you have adequate disk space. If driver is identified in the top message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for BIOS update. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xEDE9C10B, 0xF7C1DB94, 0xF7C1D890)
    ***ddnt.sys - Address EDE9C10B base at EDE9B000, Date stamp 3fd99bea
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I have checked the drivers and found no issues. Then I created a fix CD and ran the Recovery Console procedure several times until the end without problems, but it still does not fix this particular error. I still cannot start in normal mode, my computer keeps restarting and I still get the blue error screen.

What else do I need to do to get it up and running  in normal mode again?

Thanks for further assistance.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer keeps restarting right after booting up
      « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
      What is your operating system including service packs? What if anything had you changed (added/deleted) in hardware or software coincident to the occurrence of this issue? Can you relate to any computer activity that you had just executed immediately prior to the 1st occurrence of this fault? truenorth

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »
        My OS is XP (home), SP3. I did not add hardware/software before it occurred, however, there was a brief power cut due to pulling the wrong cable. Before that, it was running OK.

Thanks.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:18:21 AM »
        A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Courtesy MSDN...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
        ...there was a brief power cut due to pulling the wrong cable. Before that, it was running OK...
        Try booting to "Last Known Good Configuration".  Keep tapping F8 just before start of Windows XP splash screen.

motsim

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:46:25 AM »
           This is sometimes a warning too
            1. Check all your hardwares (especially Hard Drive) and other expansion cards are properly punched in to the system.
             Then try last known good configuration by pressing f8 method mentioned in previous reply.
             Then install a good security software if haven't done already.

2. If these don't work, try booting in safe mode again by using f8 key method. Go to "Start" and "Run" and type in the bar "msconfig" and click on the "Start Up" tab. Try to uncheck the programs you dont need at startup. Scan your computer. And try rebooting it normally.
           3. If still this doesn't work, you got to give your system into professional hands, so they can check it further.
            Sometimes this is the alarming sign of a dying hard drive as it suddenly stops and shows you the failure message. Hope for the best

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
            I have just checked Event Viewer, there is nothing in there pointing out to that error. I also tried rebooting to last known good configuration and System Restore. Still doesn´t work. I also got security software on. I have also disabled all programs at start up and tried rebooting normally and again to last known good configuration. Cables and devices are OK. Still doesn´t work. Thanks for all your help, guys.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »
            Any yellpw ??'s in Device Manager ? ?

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »
              I have just run a diagnostics tool, it showed me there is a very bad/damaged partition, which might explain why all we have tried so far did not work. I need to fix that partition, not an easy task because it seems to overlap with other existing partitions. I probably need to backup all data/programs and reformat my HD.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:59:48 AM »
              Thats what i would do...

HDD errors cannot be fixed...chkdsk will however mark bad sectors so they are ignored and no longer used.

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
                You´re right. The next challenge, though, is that I now get the error message: "Bad boot sector, enter system disk and press Enter" or "Bad boot sector, press any key" and I can no longer get into Safe Mode , so it may take a bit longer to fix it than originally planned.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
                I'd replace the HDD if it were me...

imsyak

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »
                  Well, if I manage to get it fixed this time,  I may eventually, once everything is backed up  properly.