Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software to handle two keyboards?  (Read 2628 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Software to handle two keyboards?
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
This is a software question. But involves hardware.

Is there software that will handle two separate  keyboards and give different results for some keys.

More specifically, can I have two sets of Function keys?
Remapping the function keys is, of course, possible. But I forgo the original purpose of a function key. Unless I  switch back. Which can be a hassle.

Presently I already have a software solution, but I want something better. I want two keyboards. Each can have some keys either re-mapped or made into macros.
Example: Could you do this:
Have another keyboard, any old keyboard, in a USB port. All keys are normal except the function keys. They may  do something different from  function keys on the main keyboard. (Years ago thee was a keyboard with extra function keys. I don't mean that.)  Just a normal keyboard in a USB port and a software package that will i catch the keystrokes and give new functions that have been assigned. . Normally Windows does not do this. But I have see a site where somebody has done it. So he says.

But before I go  trying it, please let me know if others have ever done this kind of thing and is it useful.

I have both XP and Windows 7 on the dell 1705  laptop.