Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drilling down? Simple question  (Read 2074 times)

Lynn

Drilling down? Simple question
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:10:53 PM »
I'm trying to install a router on our systems (I have two roomates). Got everything working on my sister's computer, but I'm having trouble with mine. I think I just need a dos command, but I can't remember any of them. Anyways, as I'm running CMD, it says:

C:\Documents and Settings\owner\>

and I need it to say:

C:\>

But I can't remember how to do it, and my searches have turned up nothing. I'm probably not wording it correctly, but I really can't remember any dos commands, and my brushes with tech support on all three sides have left me beyond frustrated. Anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Any help at all would be appreciated.

~Lynn

merlin_2

Re: Drilling down? Simple question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »
click the network neighbourhood icon.....

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »
The command you are looking for is
CD..

Why are you using the command prompt?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 02:28:38 PM by Raptor »

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 06:11:16 AM »
The commands you need to use should all work from the -  C:\Program files\Support Tools - prompt if you install the Support Tools from your XP CD.

When you get the Support tools installed type - help - at this prompt and, when you see the command(s) you need to use, type name of the command and add /? to see a full list of the useable parametres.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 06:12:15 AM by Mac »