Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 'No signal'  (Read 5054 times)

Saruna

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    'No signal'
    « on: April 26, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
    I'm about to give up. My computer was running well when I came home but I had a few lag spikes in games so I decided to (like I normally would) open the computer up and check the 9600GT graphics card. It shouldn't of had been overheating since I have 4 fans.
    When I had finished reslotting the graphics card and some other wires, I had no response when I had turned the monitor on so I reslotted more and about an hour or two later I found out it was a little plug called 'SW Reset' had been placed in the wrong place. Time to try to turn it on again, nope, no signal.  Before I began reslotting everything, I heard a harddisk beep instantly after startup and then it would continue to run fine.
    I lost my patience after five hours of the VGA having no signal so I decided to take out every plug and the graphics card and put them back in, now I have no harddisk beep at all and no signal. During the whole time the fans and lights still worked perfectly. I'm desperate for help.. please.

Graphics card: PNY 9600GT OC
    Processor: AMD 5600+ - something something.
    Monitor: HP 2211x 22"

I have tried restarting, power off'ing, changing sides of the VGA cables.
    P.S I have DVI and VGA, both have no signal. My computer could run games smooth as *censored* until I got these random lag spikes.

Usual core temperature: 50-85°c

NOTE: Is it possible for this topic to be moved? Didn't notice this was the virus bracket. Should of had wrote it in hardware, sorry.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: 'No signal'
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
    Usual core temperature: 50-85°c

Are you talking about the CPU or GPU?

If that's your "usual" temperature, do you mean usual when the system is idle, or usual under load?

If that's your usual idle temperature for the CPU, there's a heat problem. Check your CPU fan and clean the heat sink and reapply thermal paste.

SW reset is the reset switch on the front of the case. It shouldn't have had an effect on anything. Just make sure it's on the two pins it should be.

Sounds to me like while you were in the case, something else has been knocked out of place or unplugged. Are you getting a POST beep when you turn it on? (a single beep indicating the POST has passed)

What do you mean the hard disk is beeping? Hard disks don't beep. Hard disks, unless failing, should be almost silent. Are you sure you're not mistaking the motherboard's POST beep for something else?

Saruna

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
      Are you talking about the CPU or GPU?

If that's your "usual" temperature, do you mean usual when the system is idle, or usual under load?

If that's your usual idle temperature for the CPU, there's a heat problem. Check your CPU fan and clean the heat sink and reapply thermal paste.

SW reset is the reset switch on the front of the case. It shouldn't have had an effect on anything. Just make sure it's on the two pins it should be.

Sounds to me like while you were in the case, something else has been knocked out of place or unplugged. Are you getting a POST beep when you turn it on? (a single beep indicating the POST has passed)

What do you mean the hard disk is beeping? Hard disks don't beep. Hard disks, unless failing, should be almost silent. Are you sure you're not mistaking the motherboard's POST beep for something else?

I'm a beginner at computers so I'll try my best,
      The temperature I was talking about was the main computer, it's 80c when playing a game which is high detailed. Idle is usually 50-60c.
      I don't know how else to explain it. The graphics card is hardly hot.

I managed to get my fans working now and everything in the right place (I think) but the only thing that won't work is my monitor. I have done everything to try it (the VGA cable) to get signal to the monitor. I have checked the back of the ports and the cable and there are no obvious signs of damage in the pins. Tried DVI, didn't work either, so It's not my VGA cable. The back of my monitor is fine and also the back of the computer. Took the graphics card out and checked it, no signs of damage over overheating either.

As in harddisk beeping, before all this 'no signal' started I got a single 'system boot up' beep and that was it. Now I'm getting a long beep and then two short beeps and have researched this and it comes up as a graphics card/RAM failure. I have reslotted my RAM and checked my graphics card again but I just can't find whats going on. I even tried booting without the RAM, still gives me the long beep and 2 short.

Please help, I have no clue where to go..
      « Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:12:37 PM by Saruna »

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
      Your CPU is running too hot at 50-85°c, which is probably part of your problems. As I said before, check your CPU fan and make sure it's working and also reapply thermal paste.

As for the beep code, video and memory have different beep codes, but depending on the make and model of the motherboard, that code will vary depending on what BIOS it's using. It should be telling you one or the other, but as far as I know don't of them share a beep code for memory and video.

Obviously, something is still not connected right. Double check that everything is connected correctly. I'm pretty sure most models of the Nvidia 9600GT required power directly from the power supply, have you reconnected it as well?

Saruna

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
        Had a long chat with Transfusion and it was a faulty motherboard. We discussed buying new parts but I would rather buy a new one which was portable so we both agreed on Sager NP6165 laptop.

Thanked. :)

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:59 AM »
        Not sure how that conclusion was reached, but ok.