Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 install disc  (Read 2657 times)

RedT

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Win 98 install disc
    « on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »
    OK, so I purchased a new desktop PC with Windows 7 installed, but 2 of my software applications plus my scanner will not run under Win-7 (64-bit). The scanner manufacture has not written a new driver for the scanner - I prefer to run the software, so downloaded Oracle's VmVirtual Box. Upon installation, it asks for the original install disk.

My problem:
    My old desktop had been running Windows 98, and I purchased a copy of Windows ZP Home Edition (upgrade) when the upgrade disk is inserted during the Virtual Box installation, it is not accepted, and asks for the original install disk?

Second problem: After installation on my new computer, the Office 2003 programs default to an Activation Wizard, and when I attempt to register the software, it tells me that I have activated it the maximum number of times. Are there any solutions short of repurchasing ($$$$) the software?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Win 98 install disc
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
    What version of Windows 7 do you have?  "Using Windows XP Mode, you can run programs that were designed for Windows XP on computers running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions."

If your version of Win 7 is not one of the above, then you could buy a Windows 98 disc on ebay so that you can use your Win XP upgrade disc.

Re: Office 2003, call Microsoft.  As long as they know you have removed Office 2003 from a previous installation and, therefore, would not be in violation of the license agreement by installing it on your Win 7 computer, I believe they will assist you in resolving this.

RedT

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
      Thank you, soybean. I called Microsoft and talked to a machine that gave me an activation code for Microsoft Office 2003.
      Called another number and told him about the XP situation on my new PC running Win-7, and he told me (in a heavily accented voice) that I would have to "upgrade" to Windows XP before I could install the Virtual machine?!?!

Doubt that I will do that.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
      An upgrade disk, whether it is being installed onto a physical PC or a virtual one, looks for a qualifying product already installed, and if it is not there, asks for a qualifying product's install disk. An XP upgrade disk will not install XP onto a bare machine, virtual or otherwise, unless you show it a qualifying product, e.g. a Windows 98 install disk. If you do not have one, you must buy one.