Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Power Edge 840 memory problem  (Read 8639 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Dell Power Edge 840 memory problem
    « on: April 23, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
    I bought a Dell Power Edge 840 from a friend of mine to use in my server class. It has 2 gig of ram but the computer properties says only 256 megabytes of ram is available. It has Windows XP Pro on which I want to get rid of. I want to put Windows Server 2008 on it but it won't let me because there is not enough ram available. I ran a memory test with no errors. Is there anyway to get my computer to see all of the available ram. It has a Xeon processor.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Dell Power Edge 840 memory problem
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
    Occam's Razor states that the simplest solution is usually the best. I was about to think of stress-testing your CPU, moving your RAM around in different combinations, running in single channel and dual channel mode....

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/PE840/en/hom/pdf/hom.pdf 
    OS Install Mode
    (Off default)
    Determines the maximum amount of memory available to the operating system.
    On sets the maximum memory to 256 MB. Off makes all of the system memory
    available to the operating system. Some operating systems cannot install with more
    than 2 GB of system memory. Enable this option (On) during operating system
    installation and disable (Off) after installation.
    Houston, We have a solution.
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:52:23 PM by Transfusion »
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none