Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word Docs saving with a new folder with the same name.  (Read 7463 times)

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

Word Docs saving with a new folder with the same name.
    « on: May 02, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »
    Ok got a problem here never seen this before.  I have two clients that is saving word documents and the file is saving but it is also making a folder with the same name and it has three files in the folder. The file names are  colorschememapping its a xml document,  filelist its a xml document and themedata is a Microsoft Office Theme. No clue why it is doing this they are both using Word 2007 and saving as the default file type for word. one computer is Win 7 home and one computer is Vista Biz. any ideas or help on this would be great. thanks.
    Cliff
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:46:39 AM by Cliffmarcum »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Word Docs saving with a new folder with the same name.
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
    Have you actually observed how these clients use their computer?  Do you use TeamViewer to assist them?  Seeing what they are actually doing might reveal something that is not clear to you yet.

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
      Have you actually observed how these clients use their computer?  Do you use TeamViewer to assist them?  Seeing what they are actually doing might reveal something that is not clear to you yet.

Sorry it took so long to reply yes I have actually Observed both computers doing this.  they open anything in word 2007 and when they hit save it saves the file but also makes a folder with the same name of the file. if you delete the folder the file wont open. very strange.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »
      It sounds like they are being saved as .docx files and not .doc files. Those extra files and folders are normal for docx files with images in, or docx files saved as web pages etc. I suggest investigating the affected users Word settings to see what the default save type is, and maybe find out if they are doing Save as... and picking the wrong file type.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
      It sounds like they are being saved as .docx files and not .doc files. Those extra files and folders are normal for docx files with images in, or docx files saved as web pages etc. I suggest investigating the affected users Word settings to see what the default save type is, and maybe find out if they are doing Save as... and picking the wrong file type.
      I created a test in which I inserted a photo and saved as a .docx, file, a .rtf file, and an .htm file.  I see no such extra folders being created.  Word simply saves wherever I specify, as usual.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
      Well, I see I overlooked something.  Saving as an .htm file did, indeed, create a folder.  The file I saved was named Test file.htm.  The folder that was created was named Test file_files.