Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD rom Shuts down my computer  (Read 3947 times)

Ramuk7

CD rom Shuts down my computer
« on: July 07, 2005, 01:36:57 AM »
Hi all

I have a dual boot ( windows xp +Linux) with GRUB bootmanager system. I also had a  boot virus, since it wasnt much of an issue i left it.All was going fine about a week ago. Then my CD RW started giving problems. I am not able to write or read from CD's. When the drive starts to write or read the system shuts down. It happens in both Linux and windows. But when we insert a blank CD the CD write dialog box opens. When i start brnng something it goes off once again. I am also not able to boot from a bootable disc(both windows and LInux) When it starts accesing the data the computer turns off. I tried interchanging cable's, it was of no use. I also opened the CDRW and cleaned it(like cleaning the lenses and refixing the cables its still of no use. I have also reset the CMOS in my mother board. I have a Asus P4V533MX mother board, with intel 2.4 GHz processor, 256 MB RAM. Mc afee detects boot viruses but it has been there quite some time, only now the CDROM is giving problems.
Thankyou
Ram ::) ::) ??? ??? :'(

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: CD rom Shuts down my computer
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:51:46 AM »
    A tidy little setup you have there Ram, while you're swapping out the cdrw to test it in another computer or fitting a known good one to eliminate the cdrw as a problem, you may consider an extra stick or 3 of ram.
    Needless to say, remove the virus.
    Just re-reading your post, do you have cdrw and cdrom or was the cdrom a typo?

ortymd

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:48:47 AM »
      I have the same problem. PC also turns off when booting if there is a disk inside. I noticed that if I do not unplug the power cord from the outlet for the night, in the morning PC starts OK.
      When I try to burn to disk or install drivers system also shuts down.
      I disconnected the DVD-RW, but still PC shuts down when booting. This does not happen if I plug the power cord into outlet, wait for about 15 min and than turn on.
      Where should I look for the reason?

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »

@ ortymd, it would probably be better for you if you start your own thread and list your problems there, rather than replying to a 7 year old thread
      11 cheers for binary !