Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: screen switching  (Read 3332 times)

drongo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    screen switching
    « on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »
    Hi guys,
    I have 2 PCs connected to 1 keyboard, 1 screen and 1 mouse. The combination to switch is
    scroll lock scroll lock esc. How can I make a macro to assign the 3 key presses to a hot key?
    there must be a simple method and I'm too dumb to see it.
    Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: screen switching
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Do you mean that hitting the scroll lock three times turns the switch to the other PC? Does the keyboard plug into the switch?

Do you want a single scroll-lock keystroke to switch instead of 3 strokes? Why? There is a reason the maker wants 3 keystrokes.
    I think it is not impossible. Nut not simple. Not in downstream*  software.  And then a single  press of the scroll-lock can no longer t be used for another function.

* downstream. The analogy is like trying to  row upstream in a torrent. The keyboard is a stream device. Software can not catch something that was already caught upstream.Any key press goes down a stream of possible change . Some changes are not visible downstream. So software can not change what it never sees, not can it go upstream to change what is was. When you hit the scroll lock three times, the aitch does not pass the stream to the PC. If you hit is once, then switch will pass the none press down the stream.

Without more details of the brand of switch, I can not do any more guessing. Please provide details.  Specifically, does the product package allow a PC driver to control the switch?

drongo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »
      Thanks mate,
      I had a feeling it would be a bit of a task but thought I'd ask in case I was missint the obvious.
      Be lucky,
      drongo

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:33:33 AM »
      Don't want to discourage you. It is possible to program the keyboard itself to send the sequence.
      Or, dig into the switch and program  it to respond to another char.

Either way requires access to inform nation about the design of the IC controllers used. These are sometimes called MCU. An old typical MCU was the Intel 8051, which could be used as a keyboard encoder.

The common  Keyboard decoder is often a 8042 chip.
      Originally, IBM used the Intel 8042 microcontroller as its keyboard controller. This has since been replaces with compatible devices
      The encoder is inside the keyboard, the decoder is on the PC motherboard.

If anybody wants to see, here is a copy of the
      IBM Technical reference for 8042

Actually, that is not much help. But thee is a whole lot more stuff like that and it is so dull to read. Sort of thing you put inn the bathroom when you don't want guests spending a long time  in your bathroom.