Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow to connect to the internet  (Read 3296 times)

Bobh

Slow to connect to the internet
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi -
I run Windows Vista Home Basic  32 bit.
Last month I had a problem with getting a black screen for 1 minute and 20 seconds when I tried to log on.  A person  suggestesd I set up a second account and that fixed the problem.  Now when I turn on my computer I get a background screen picture and after a few seconds the internet icon appears in the lower right corner of the monitor with a red X on it.  Of course this means I am not connected to the internet.  After 1 minute and 45 seconds the red X fades and I am connected to the internet.  It seems that I got rid of the black screen but still have a delay for getting on the internet.
What I have done.  I have ran all my security programs.  They came back OK.  I have deleted all start up programs except  Avast.
Got anything else to try?  I can live with the delay but I just like for things to work right.    Thanks for help.     Bob   

Bobh

Re: Slow to connect to the internet
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
Hi -
Apparently I don't need any help on this.  The only thing I did was to disconnect the modem for a few minutes and reconnected it.  Now everything appears normal.  I don't have any idea what I did but I will stop while I am ahead.
Thanks anyway.    Bob

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:14 AM »

Hi -
 The only thing I did was to disconnect the modem for a few minutes and reconnected it.  Now everything appears normal.  I don't have any idea what I did but I will stop while I am ahead.

You simply re-set your modem, it should be one of the first things you try when troubleshooting internet connection......
11 cheers for binary !

Bobh

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
Hi -
OK    I'm glad I did something right.   This can be marked solved.   Thanks    Bob