Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook uploads and downloads at snail pace  (Read 3126 times)

Skippie 10

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Outlook uploads and downloads at snail pace
    « on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »
    Hi, I have Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 and have had this set up for years.  I have Norton antivirus, as well.

Today, I cannot seem to get the send/recieve button to complete the send/receive process.  It starts and goes through a number of emails and then hangs up and won't finish.  I've deleted messages in out and in basket to try to get it to work but to no avail.  The size of the files is not large - shows 246 KB of 349 KB at the bottom of page.

When I open the progress page for send/recieve it shows 60 seconds remaining but never moves the green line to the right - so it is "hung up."  What to do?

Salmon Trout

Re: Outlook uploads and downloads at snail pace
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
    Possibly your email server is having problems. Have you checked to see if your internet connection is slow generally?

Skippie 10

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
      I checked the speed for DSL and it is as fast as always.  Also, I have a smart phone with internet and it is getting lots of emails and sende/receives on the same email address. 

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials....a friend just told me to do that...so, maybe there is a virus on this computer (Dell Laptop).

Don

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
      So, you now have two anti-virus programs running.  Is that correct?  Running two of them at the same time is generally not a good practice.  They can fight with each other and slow down your computer.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
      Your web connection and the mail servers speed are 2 different things as Salmon pointed out...
      Contact your provider and see if it's been a complaint from others.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "